This Disappears When Logged In

Preventing Bites: Help Please

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by TitoAndKatt, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I believe they will ship anywhere in the states. Check their site though for that.

They charge you for the shipping, so place a big order to make it worthwhile. If you don't have the room for a big order, you may want to stick with petco. Shipping will run you around $45.00 - $55.00 alone.

They use insulation and dry ice to ship. ;)

2. plisskin

plisskin Active Member

During feeding time I always use gloves to get my BP out of his living enclosure and to put in feeding enclosure. I believe this accomplishes 2 things, the first is he seams to know its feeding time by the smell and feel of the gloves since they can be troublesome feeders this puts him in feeding mode, the second is his safety and my own. When I reach into his living enclosure with bare hands he does'nt confuse it with feeding time! So far this has worked for me !

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks Rich: I'll stick with Pet-Co for now. I don't think I have room for about 1500 rats in my freezer! haha and don't have $50 running around for shipping! ;) Besides, it will probably be $100 to ship to AK! :rolleyes: We're usually not counted as being in the "continental US".....even though we are ON THE SAME CONTINENT!!!! hahaha Whatever. :p I enjoy the trip to PetCo anyways...even if it is a HUGE temptation to keep buying more animals! (they got a new shipment of Leos in yesterday!!!! One looked like a Bell albino and I wanted it SOOOO bad...and two others in there....and the adult Leo that came in for adoption...and another snake for Shiiva to chill with....and the house Gecko...and...well you get the idea ;) hahaha

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Oh yes, and thanks for the glove idea Plisskin. She has never bitten anyone in her tank, just the feed box (and just me). I bought some bigger mice for her (the rats they had were far too big). Can I feed her multiple mice? Like say 2 small or medium ones?

5. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

as long as you feed them to her back to back yes.. feeding her over the course of a couple days is bad for digestion. but as long as they are eaten in 1 sitting, it's fine =)

6. RunMickeyRun

RunMickeyRun Elite Member

All of our snakes get fed every other Sunday. Alice, the smallest of our balls usually puts down 2 or 3 full grown mice. Pinky & the Brain will easily take three 4 week old rats at each feeding. When we are feeding we will place a second rodent in the feeding tank as soon as the snake realigns it's jaw (shortly after the spaghetti slurp of the tail).

We haven't had any issues with over feeding, all of the snakes have at one time or another decide they are full and started to look for a hide.

Luckily, we have our own breeding colony of mice and rats, so if they turn up their nose at a meal, it's no big deal.

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Is it good to have a hide in the feeding box or no?

I think the feeding box is supposed to not be able to be seen through, correct?

8. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Good question, I am waiting for the experts to answer. Mine is a clear plastic box. Ooops! wonder if I am messing him up...

9. RunMickeyRun

RunMickeyRun Elite Member

When I said "look for a hide" I wasn't meaning to imply that we have a hide in the feeding area. We actually use a kiddie pool we bought at walmart that has 8" tall sides. When our boys are done eating, they will attempt to climb out. That is my boyfriend's cue that they are ready to be moved back into their homes.

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I think the secret is filling her up! She ate a large mouse tonight and when we reached in to take her out she tensed up and looked ready to strike...so we fed her another mouse which she took immediately. When she finished with that one she came out of the box just fine no tensing or striking at all! :)

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

aw she was just hungry

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I know! Poor little girl! :( Now she will never go hungry again though! haha And as fat as she is looking right now, She'll be nice and full for a good few days too! :p

13. Sinlightened

woot! the desired result has been acquired! Now if Gonzo would just eat 1! (he's still in his little fast) and with us moving, I'm sure he's a little stressed. So I'm hoping to get him to down something fairly soon. I'll try tonight. it's been about 2 weeks since we moved and it should be a fairly quiet night.

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

if only our snake eats as well.. she is being so difficult.

15. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Aw, good luck! I am sure she will eat tonight if it has been 2 weeks! Let us know how that goes!

16. Maya

Maya Elite Member

I feel your pain, 2 weeks is not long they say, but it is hard when they don't eat.

17. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I have heard that they can go up to about a year without eating. Is that true? It seems unlikely to me, but not impossible. they certainly could not be very healthy at that point... :confused:

18. Sinlightened

yeah it's true... but if they are visibly losing weight, it's getting to a point that may be harmful..

19. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Man, can you imagine not eating for a YEAR?!?!

20. monitorman

monitorman Member

I made that mistake many years ago with my 11 foot columbian red tail boa. I had a rat in my hand ready to feed him and he struck me in the hand. He proceded to wrap a few coils around me before I knew it and dropped me to the ground. I was able to get to the alcohol that I had nearby and poured it on his head to get free. Scary! Well, that's how I learned to feed in a feeder box and distract him before feeding. I also wash my hands and let him rest for a couple hours after eating before putting him back. I have a Black throat monitor that I am trying to calm down now. Keeping bellies full will keep them calm too. Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.