This Disappears When Logged In

Preventing Bites: Help Please

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by TitoAndKatt, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

How can I stop/prevent bites/strikes? Twice now I have been bit (not a latch on bite, but a good hit and retreat) trying to take the snake out of her feeding box. The first was before I fed her the mouse. She had entwined herself in a box the previous owner (my friend) had put in there and I wanted to take her out of it before feeding her. I ended up putting the whole box and snake IN the feeding box, but wanted to try removing the en-strangled box one more time - which is when I got bit. Then tonight after she was done eating, I reached in to take her out of her feeding box and she slashed me again. Both times she left two very small, but still bleeding, puncture wounds (very glad she is not poisonous). How can I avoid this? How do you guys take your snakes out of the feed boxes without getting bitten? She has never bitten anyone before except for me.
    This is a stupid question, but snakes don't like "develop a taste" for things (like fingers) do they?
    She is very used to being handled, and familiar with me as I have held her often since my old roommate (the friend who gave her to me) bought her in December-January.

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

It sounds like you just got bit because of the feeding element. If it's only at these times she's on edge then I would look at getting a snake hook to move the snake for feedings. I need to use one with my boas during feeding times. Though they're normally very well mannered. I use hooks for almost all my snakes when feeding it just keeps mix ups from happening.

3. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

Also, of course, make sure you're washing very well before reaching in. If you have handled the food prior to reaching in she may be picking up a whiff of it, or something you had handled previously. Did the previous owner use a feeding box as well? maybe she is accustomed to being fed in her home.

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

She is used to a feeding box. I was living with the previous owner when she got her (old roommate) so luckily I know her history pretty well. I think part of the problem is she was still hungry and thought my hand was food. I need to get some bigger mice. We have been feeding her the hoppers I was given by the prev. owner when I started snake-sitting but she is bigger now. I think she's more than ready for adult mice.

5. Sinlightened

That was going to be my next thought =) something a little bigger should work.. How big is she? Gonzo (my bp) is about a year old, almost 2 1/2 feet and is just coming out of his winter hunger strike and started eating again. I've gone to eyes open rat pups which he seems to love. (He was stuck on live food when I got him and refuses anything killed, no matter how warm or juicy with chicken broth it is!)

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Ya, I will either go get some bigger mice today (that was the last hopper) or have my roommate bring some home (she works at PetCo).

7. Sinlightened

Rats provide a higher food value.. but petco doesn't have them.. at least the ones here.. (at least not small enough rats) I get pups from a small local pet shop by my work that breeds them so they constantly have a nice supply of whatever size I need.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You feed f/t correct Katt??

If so a lot of the snake owners on here use an online company called...frozenrodent.com (I think) Merlin has posted the name in threads before (guess I'll have to go surfing to make sure of the name :p)

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Another source for frozen rodents--www.rodentpro.com. That's the one I use and I have never been disappointed with their service, and the quality of their feeder rodents. This is also where Bob Clark gets his feeders from.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That might have been where I was thinking also :p

Still searching threads to make sure ;)

11. David McConley

There is a site called frozenrodent.com- It was in the forums recently because someone was looking for a gerbil and they offer frozen gerbils. But I stick with Rodentpro for their service.

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

What size mouse should I get? I have fed her a very large mouse before and she ate it fine. I believe when I measured her she was about 3 inches in diameter...
    And how long do they stay good frozen?

13. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I also use rodentpro.com and have no problem plugging them occasionally. They have great feeders and the service is wonderful. I especially like their selection. I was feeding rabbits to the boa but will be trying to feed guinea pigs shortly. She isn't fond of the rabbits so I have to trick her into eating them. I am hoping we don't have to go through the same thing with the guinea pigs.

I want to comment on the size of the feeders. I have yet to encounter a ball python that can't take an adult mouse. The absolute smallest prey I have ever fed a ball python is an adult mouse. This includes neonates.

The size of the prey definitely needs to be increased. ;)

14. Rich

The prey she gets should be AT LEAST as big as the thickest part of her body. If she can easily put down adult mice, small rats (or larger) may be needed.

15. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

What size rat should I get then? And how long do they last frozen?

16. Rich

The size is going to have to be depicted by you. I have seen small rats at my local petco that were closer to hoppers than they were small rats. I have also seen their large rats come in smaller than the medium rats I buy from rodentpro. lol

I place a rodent order every couple months without any issues. Typically I am out of rodents within 3 months, but they all lasted that long without problems. ;)

17. Sinlightened

like Rich said, AT LEAST as big as the thickest part of their body. so if she is 3 inch in diameter she should be able to handle just about anything on there aside from the xl. they don't really give width measurements on there but I'd say Medium would be a good start considering the big change in size from the last meals. but I don't have any experience with their site... just going off my own feedings and pet rats I currently have =)

18. Sinlightened

Pretty much if they're frozen, they're good to go for a while. =) Kinda like those steaks that got lost in my freezer I bought last fourth of July! =)

19. David McConley

Yes, it's about time for me to place another order, my freezer is getting depleted. Some of my snakes have graduated up to medium rats and I am running low. Luckily I have a dedicated freezer that I can use so I don't freak out my friends when they go to get ice out of the freezer in the house. I don't see a problem with it as the rodents come bagged in zip-lock bags so there is no contamination but some people are just too picky.

20. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Haha well squeamish people should not be in my fridge Or freezer! We have all kinds of fish food kritters and dead mice (soon rats!) and meal worms in the fridge...haha allsorts of weird gross stuff!
    Thanks guys! I will get some rats from Pet-Co today and then put in an order on rodentpro later. Do they ship to AK? HOW do they ship something frozen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.