This Disappears When Logged In

Preshuz is not eating!

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by annarawrr, Nov 28, 2011.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Hey everyone!

As you may remember Preshuz is my rear fanged plumbeous water snake (enhydris plumbea). I've have him for about six months and he hasn't eaten at all in the past month or so! He acts perfectly normal otherwise and just shed yesterday. His husbandry is basically the same as a tropical fish. Glass tank half full of water and a sort of hammock made of vines and screening for him to bask on. Nothing has changed for him in the past one month and as he is still under a year old and WAY under his adult size I don't see why he would suddenly stop eating. The only thing I can think of is the weather has dropped a couple degrees because of the rainy season. Will a heat lamp help? Should I take him to the vet? Please help!

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

What are the temps in his tank? Is he acting strangely other than not eating?

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

He's not acting strangely at all! He's active, non-aggressive and curious when he's taken out of the tank for handling. The water temperature is 72-74 and the basking area is 76-78. There are a few live fish in his tank for him to catch on his own (which he has only ever done maybe about three times) that he doesn't eat. He has always preferred to be hand-fed but lately he just ignores my attempts completely!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You mention that the temperature has dropped. Try raising the temperature back to where it was initially.

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks Merlin! I'm ordering a new heat bulb for him soon :)