This Disappears When Logged In

Preparing Bark?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Dragonscalestudios, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I have a cherry plum tree that was RAVAGED by bark beetles last year and is now dead. So I was getting ready to cut it down and it dawned on me, omg this bark is PERFECT! So I used a knife to pry 2 buckets full of bark off the tree. Here is my question.

What perparation is required before using bark? does it need to be soaked to leech out the tanins in the bark? Baked? Bleached? It is all fairly thin bark, about 1/4" thick.

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

what is it for and how big are the pieces. you can bake or bleach

3. Dragonscalestudios

I have no use for it currently, I just recognized the possibility that it may come in handy as I plan on expanding my herp population in the next year. Pieces are varied in size, some small 2"x2"ish to 12"x12"ish. Some are flat, some are almost complete tubes, some slightly curved. I just want to make sure that I treat all the bark so that it is safe for use.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Toss it in the bathtub with a bunch of bleach water and let it soak for an hour. Then fill and drain the tub a few times to rinse. Good to go.

5. Dragonscalestudios

Thank you, I went out and pulled another bucketfull off today, what am I going to do with 3 buckets of bark?!? Off to start bleaching!

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

yep it is safe once you bleach it, just checking what its for as it isn't good for all herps.

7. Dragonscalestudios

which would it not be good for? And why? None of it is ingestible for the herps I plan to keep.

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Those animals that could possibly eat it while trying to eat other things and it would cause impaction.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Something to be very watchful for - I keep my CWD on bark, and she has no problems, but she also eats all of her meals out of a clean glass dish so she isn't accidentally ingesting it. I wouldn't advise it for Igs, as I hear they like to 'taste' everything.

10. schlegelbagel

I think these are big pieces of bark. Not be to used as cage substrate, but decor. She said some pieces were 12 x 12

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ya I think 2 inch by 2 inch was the smallest so I don't think there is any problem pertaining to ingestion. I would think that once they are sanitized they would be good for any herp as long as you didn't use the smaller 2"x2" ones for ig's (but even those might be ok, I don't know if a 4' ig could eat them)

12. Dragonscalestudios

I'm actually a he Liz :)

I don't plan on getting another Ig, Ziggy was my last Ig. You are correct Liz, I was meaning to use it as décor. Going to use it for my FBNs paludarium and after I finish with the other enclosure, probably a couple of WTFs.

13. Dragonscalestudios

Also, if anyone needs any bark pieces you are more than welcome to request a size and you can have it. I'll post pics of my haul tomorrow.

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

That is why I asked how big the pieces were and what they were for. a 12"x12" shouldn't be a problem for many things. good luck!

15. Dragonscalestudios

16. schlegelbagel

Dangit. I can never keep members' genders correct.

17. Dragonscalestudios

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.