This Disappears When Logged In

Pregnant Snakes

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Kirsty93, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirsty93

Kirsty93 New Member

Hello fellow snake lovers.

My name is Kirsty and I love snakes.

I was just wondering what pregant or lactating female snakes eat?
    Do the eat just like a normal adult snake?
    Or do they have a diet?
    I'm really interested and I'd be thrilled if someone could reply.

thank~ Kirsty :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They eat just the same food items that they would normally eat, though in smaller amounts as they get further along.
    Not much room in there for food with a bunch of growing babies or eggs.

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Hi! Just so you know, some pregnant snakes lay eggs and some give birth to live babies....and snakes dont lactate ever.....live bearers give birth and move on....egg layers sometimes incubate and when babies hatch, move on....

Do you have a snake???

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I was going to say... I didn't think snakes lactated!

5. Merlin

LOL! I completely missed the lactating reference!:eek:
    Thanks ladies for keeping it straight!;)

6. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

Yall had me confused too!! I was wondering how snakes lactate with no nipples. . .i know u can milk anything with nipples, but that was just crazy!!! LOL!!

7. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Not to mention no mammary glands. For future reference, dear poster, only mammals lactate. Since I have experience on placental (yes, reptiles can have placentae) reptile breeding, I'll throw in my two cents, which is this:

Pregnant/gravid lizards and snakes, from my experience, can have a VORACIOUS appetite. I had a pregnant skink who usually ate 2 5 week crickets eat SEVEN and want more!! They do eat normal diets, but will often eat a bit more of it. From direct experience with placental reptiles, I can say affirmatively that occasionally with a larger litter size, there simply won't be room in the body cavity for food. This can mean as much as 1.5 weeks (from what I've seen) of not eating by the mother.

As an interesting sidenote, my placental skink actually eats the placenta after she gives birth, rather like alot of her mammal counterparts. Cool, eh?

Edit: On further reflection, I doubt that snakes would eat their placenta (though don't quote me on it cause I'm not the best with snakes). You also need to remember that some reptiles, snakes being the most notorious for this, have internal eggs that never really form a calcaneous shell and 'hatch' inside the mother, making for a pseudo-placenta.

8. Kirsty93

Kirsty93 New Member

Thanks guys!!

No I don't have snakes myself. My aunt does and she was think of breeding them.

I really love snakes and I'm nagging my mum to get me some but they are too creepy for her!

I was also wondering... How much water do snakes drink?

Because I've never seen my aunties snakes drink water...
    They have a water bowl and everything..

~Kirsty :)

9. Merlin

It depends on how thirsty they are! ;)
    Snakes do drink water, but a lot of the times you will not see them drink since they tend to move around a lot at night. They also will not drink in front of you unless they are used to seeing you since this puts them in a very vulnerable position.
    I see my snakes drink all the time.

10. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

I've seen the grey banded kingsnake in my house drink from his water dish more than once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.