This Disappears When Logged In

Preferred Doors

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by akbaby907, May 24, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I'm building an enclosure for my boa and it seems pretty popular to have sliding glass/plexiglass type doors. I'm not too big a fan of those personally, so I'm curious as to everybody's preference in door types and reasons why?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Greatest Hits collection... oops...

I'm not a big fan of plexi in big snake cages, unless it's re-enforced somehow. My 14' burm busted out the window breaking it many times till I put in a tempered glass piece (read as car window...), she never busted that stretching.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Boa's get pretty big. Bigger = stronger. I prefer glass for anything over 6 feet. Tempered glass is better, but for my large 8 x 4 x 4 that are empty at the moment, I used a screen door. For smaller ones that are 4 x 4 x 2, also empty lol, I used thick thick plexiglass but a boa would never go in those..... those are for ball pythons and anything under 5 to 6 feet.

We also put locks on everything. Especially customs where it is so easy. We use one type of lock that has the same key for all locks. Sliding glass is so easy for them to get out.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah for a big snake, one of the best doors that do not take up much room i see alot of people using hinged doors that open from the bottom up..... it saves alot of space and also helps keep the heat and humidity in well as with sliding glass doors you have the space between the two sheets of glass that heat and humidity can easily escape....