This Disappears When Logged In

Preferences

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by dcboas, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcboas

dcboas Elite Member

I was just courious of what your feeding preferences are?Rats,rabbits,or fowl.For the larger constrictors of course.

2. Stratusfaction

Stratusfaction Active Member

Not sure yet considering I don't have my snake yet. Just wanted to tell you David that I have the day off after all, so call me if you wish. :D

-David D.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would go with either rats or rabbits depending on the size of the snake. From discussions I have had with people that keep larger pythons you can use chickens to help fill em up but a diet based solely on fowl is lacking.

Of couse some that have no trouble at all feeding a rat will balk at killing Peter Cottontail!

4. dcboas

dcboas Elite Member

My 0:1 rtb is fond of rats but you should see her hit a rabbit,man what a site.My 1:0 didnt show much interest in his first rabbit and likes rats just fine.They are 6 an 5 feet respectivly and love attention :)

5. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Merlin, how do you feed snakes chickens, do they have to be declawed and debeaked. Or do you just feed chicken breasts?
    I don't have any snakes but my friend has a 10' Albino Burm Python and its getting a little large for full grown rabbits, he wanted to get a chicken but thought it might tear his snake up. So I pretty much have no idea whats going on, I just know he said he wanted to get a chicken to feed his snake but didnt know how, so if you could let me know it would be much appreciated.
    -cf

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hmmm You have got me on that one! I'd never really thought about it. I doubt that a chicken would be much of a danger to a large python but will have to ask. Maybe Fran knows. I do know that some keepers of large burms will feed turkey legs to them. As the snake is swallowing the rabbit or large rat they just sort of shove the turkey leg in so it follows the rodent down.

7. dcboas

dcboas Elite Member

From what I have seen and read,they cant declaw or debeak in the wild and your larger constrictors will eat fowl when available.KFC of the jungle :)

8. Stratusfaction

Stratusfaction Active Member

lol....KFC of the jungle!

9. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

So just shove a turkey leg down with the rabbit!
    Much easier than two rabbits at once, or a billygoat(like he was planning in the near future)!
    Thanks for the help and ill let him know, I convinced him to get rid of his heating rock too! He was using the same one that he had when he had ball pythons, and they apparently got burnt to death! You would think live and learn but i guess not!
    Thanks for the help!
    -cf

10. Todd

Todd Elite Member

I haven't fed the chickens and the rabbits, but I do know that rats are a much better source of protein than mice. Thats what Ive heard. No one's mentioned pot belly pigs yet? We should post a thread if someone finds out the dietary attributes of each of these different feeders!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.