This Disappears When Logged In

Praying Mantis

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Og_, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

2. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Those are awesome. I love mantids.

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Those are absolutely gorgeous! I don't think I could spend that much on them. Especially, if I remember right, they only live a few years.

4. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

They are some amazing looking creatures.

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

They are wicked looking! I believe we have a member here that breeded the orchid kind, was it titus? I can't remember but you might want to get a PM to him. :)

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Amazing, the orchid is gorgeous but the ghost is also very cool when you look at their shadow. Thanks for sharing, they would make a very interesting pet I think. So are you getting one???:cool:

7. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Those are AWESOME, now I want one...LOL!

8. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I might try the cheaper ones first.

9. GOAT13

GOAT13 New Member

I have a bright green one. They are a blast to watch, I really would love to get my hands hands on a larger more colorful guy! And a par would be even better.

10. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

the reason its 75 bucks is because its an ooth. which is the egg sac. out of this egg sac can come upwards of 400 mantis'

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Thanks for clarifying that! With my limited knowledge, I assumed that an "Ooth" was just another species of mantid! LOL

That is why I would start out with the cheaper ones to learn the hubandry better.
    Actually, Here in Georgia, we have some of the biggest mantids around.(about 4 inches) However, they are very difficult to find. They are solid green here and live in very leafy green areas and they do not move when they get spooked, So it is very difficult to go out and catch them.
    The only times that I have ever seen them is while sitting in a park or something similar eating lunch and sometimes I see them move after I have been sitting for several minutes! Even then, It's very rare!

They seem to be the most active at late dusk which makes it even harder to see them!

12. mld

So Greg which one are you going to get, they are all so amazing to watch. This way you wouldn't have to strain your eyes to see them anymore. :p

13. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I will learn to keep the easiest ones!

There is no reason for me to tackle the hardest ones first!

14. avoidtheboyd

i learned what an ooth was the hard way. i brought some sacs in a few months ago and soon after i released probably close to 1500 to 3000 mantids. it was awesome.

15. mld

I agree, master the proper care first. Don't forget to post a picture when you get it. So can't you just buy one single praying mantis or do you have to buy an ooth?

16. avoidtheboyd

you can just buy a single mantis.