This Disappears When Logged In

Powersun Vs Megaray

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by shwknight, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ok, let me start out by stating I know everyone loves the megaray :)

What I want to know is...whats the difference other than the brand name? They both state that they produce high levels of uvb and heat and they both have a one year warranty, but one is about $20 cheaper (and I know you get what you pay for but in todays economy everyone needs to look at cheaper ways to do things and thats why i'm starting this thread):p

Has anyone used the powersun? If so, what did you think of it? Did they last? Were you happy with it?

And I encourage anyone with a uvb meter that has used the powersun to chime in :)

I'd also like to hear from people that used the powersun and switched to the megaray. The differences, if any, they noticed.

Anyway, I think I've said enough to get the ball rolling ;)

2. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

This site should answer all your questions:

UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - UVB reptile lighting on test

The Mega Ray is superior. Better quality UVA/UVB. More useable UV than other lamps. Read the research at UVguide UK and ReptileUV, also ReptileuvInfo site.

Join the Yahoo! group UV_Meter_Owners group and discuss it in depth.

Any manufacturer can says what they want on the box. No other manufacturer has started websites for research and discussion to PROVE their claims. Some even stole the Reptiluv name and used it in Reptiles Magazine ads. It's an ugly business.

All these places should satiate your appetite for UV knowledge. ;)

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Read the links. (It will take you awhile.) That is the only way to truly get an accurate and precise answer.

My personal experience is that I have used the over priced, under achieving Powersun before and now I use the Mega Ray.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Thanks for answering Dominick and Rich :)

I've already e-mailed Bobmac at reptile uv and watched the video's and read the information that he suggested I view/read (as you say...a company can say what it wants :p) and he said to call him if i still needed help but instead of bothering him with this stuff i thought i'd start a thread and see what people said;) I am just trying to get a broader view as to what people think of the two different bulbs, a public opinion if you will ;):)

p.s. I think i'll have to join that group if just to read stuff ;)

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

OK. I have tested dozens of bulbs in very boring lamp studies, I've also shipped hundreds of Mega Rays. I know the inventor and intimately know the way the lamp is made, what materials are used and why it's made.

So, my vote in the court of public opinion is for Mega Ray.

Let the other lamps hang! LOL

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ok, after going over the link Dominick provided, scratch the powersun :p
    Let's make this a megaray vs T-rex UVHeat (new version)

If I understand what I read correctly the "new" T-Rex was developed with the help of Bobmac(Megaray's developer). The T-Rex produces approximately the same UVB as the Megaray(as shown in the spread chart) It also has a comparable decay rate. I did a search on the T-Rex and the price is comparable to the Megaray and it can be bought in local stores where as the Megaray can only be bought over the internet(so no shipping charges on the T-Rex)

So, after that being said, I pose the same questions as I did about the powersun :)

p.s. I'm not trying to offend anyone nor am I trying to sway anyone from buying a Megaray, I'm just trying to be as informed as I can be before I make a decision as to what light i'm going to buy. That's why I ask, and pose, questions to people that have actually used these products and don't just go by what a company web site or box says ;)

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I don't know anything about the spectrum of light, and all that stuff. But what I do know is that I had/have both MVB and around here they are both $97.00 each! :eek:
    So I recently ordered 2 megarays for the price of 1 (including shipping) of the others and I have only had then for a week or so. Now that's saving mula!! :) :)
    As far as a difference in my reptiles I will let ya know,lol.

8. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Bingo!

It's the exact same lamp! If buying from the store is easier for you, then do it. :)

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

We only have ReptiSun and Zoomed in South Africa. I was very lucky to find a PowerSun at a ridiculous price the other day. I also want MegaRay!!! PLEASE.:( I need it for winter.

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Bob and I were chatting and he sent me this for HC:

Difference between Trex and MegaRay: MegaRay is built to my specifications and I pay for testing of EACH bulb at the factory. We then test every bulb here in our new offices. See pics of the day we moved in with lots of junk still being sorted out. The testing station is now revamped and much "cleaner" and larger even though this one held 24 at a time.

Attached Files:

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

From what I've read on the subject the distance of the megaray output is not only greater but wider as well..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.