This Disappears When Logged In

Pothos and Coco Fiber?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by JAdams, May 24, 2010.

1. JAdams

JAdams New Member

Im wanting some pothos vines to put in my veiled cham cage and my chinese water dragon cage, and my mom has a pothos plant thats very old. About 20 yrs.

I cant use her whole plant because it has been passed down by a deceased family member, but i can use cuttings off of it. I noticed that it still has the Original soil in the pot, and i want to know if i can take alot of the old soil out and replace it with Coco fiber Substrate? Or will this kill the plant? I want to not only get some cuttings, but i want to get the plant healthy again, it has two 20ft vines that were balled up that have lost their leaves except about 2 foot from the end and beginning, if i unball it will the leaves come back and make it a full vine again?

And what is the best way to transplant the cuttings, I have one in a cup of water thats got 1 root thats about 4" long. But it took it like 2 months to grow this root. Is there a faster way?

Thanks in advance!

2. injunjoe

injunjoe Well-Known Member

Hello; It sounds like this plant needs to be removed from it's pot and remove all the old potting soil.
    Then with new soil or non soil potting mix repot this keepsake plant. The long vines should be cut back. Although it is hard to make oneself cut on there plants it is best for the plant!

The cutting you took is ready for potting up. Have you been feeding your cutting to promote root growth? If not this will speed things up very fast. Bottom heat will also promote root growth.

Good luck; Joe

3. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I use a mix of coco-fiber and organic potting soil (no fertilizer or additives) in some of my tanks and have pothos planted directly in the tanks (and sometimes in pots). They grow like weeds!!

I see no problem with transplanting the old plant to a new larger container using this mixture. And cutting back some of the long vines will encourage the lower parts to sprout new leaves. And don't worry, the vines will continue to grow as well.

With the original plant you can add fertilizer to help it grow, but for the cuttings I would only add it before you are ready to put it in your tank. Then you will have to take it out of its container and wash all the dirt mix with fertilizer off the roots and repot it (or place it in the tank) without the fertilizer part in it.

Even in my tanks that don't get additional lighting, they grow like crazy - I love this stuff!

Good Luck!