This Disappears When Logged In

Potential Breeding Project

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by JoeyG, Oct 15, 2013.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Okay so I'm finally ready to see what happens with my attempt. I have a female that's ready and 2 potential males. I'll be starting to cycle them at the end of the month. Also wanted to show off some of my other guys including my youngest baby. My little Aru type. I didn't have good light and some with flash others not. All taken today..... Thanks for stopping by

Female many of you know
    10299008344_b1d263dc58.jpg
    IMG_6504

1st choice male
    10299217383_c0b5004e39.jpg
    IMG_6502

2nd choice male
    10299084035_3a679fe59e.jpg
    IMG_6505

One of my growing babies- love the red eyes!
    10299091996_f52074b083.jpg
    IMG_6506

another growing baby
    10299005664_de17315299.jpg
    IMG_6509

Baby Aru
    10299009394_c997467f1e.jpg
    IMG_6503

Attached Files:

2. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

Ahh! JoeyG, I am so envious of your GTP collection! It's absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see how this breeding project goes!

3. JoeyG

Thanks! Got more but light wasn't helping. Seems my 1st choice is not showing up for some reason. Got a couple of bps too, been some uos and downs but still moving ahead with my attempt. If you invest in the proper equipment they're easier to keep so with dome homework and a little money , anyone can successfully own them

4. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

I think successfully owning a snake is fully dependent on the persons reason for wanting a snake. If you want a snake for the handling and cuddling, you're in the wrong section of pets. If you want a snake for visual pleasure, care taking, and companionship then you're in the right spot. I think snakes make the best pets, out of everything that is possible to own these days. Having an understanding that the care taking of a snake is much more than just picking up poop and going on walks (like dogs) is imperative to your success in owning a reptile. What I'm saying is; if you don't have the patience to watch, a basically empty tank, ~=15/7 then you shouldn't own snakes. Buying equipment will certainly make husbandry a lot easier, but then I feel as if you lose the "observer" factor of snake ownership. I sort of enjoy having to check up on my snakes environment every couple of hours. It's therapeutic. Lol :">

5. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

WE say therapeutic. My girlfriend calls it "obsessive compulsive disorder". WE call it collecting. My family calls it "hoarding". I'm so glad I can come here and be with people who understand!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  6. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

Hahaha, I know, right?

7. JoeyG

Lol! Im with on the obsession... I mean therapy ;-) I keep the equipment I do because to successfully keep chondros you need consistent environments that won't fluctuate. Not to say I dont see them, I check on them before and after work, still mist manually and just hang out sometimes. With a 4 year old and puppy it makes it easier to know equipment is reliable. They do make wonderful pets though my wife has put her foot down "again" having recently discovered I had more then she thought :) LOL! Some how they snuck in...hmmm I do believe with enough research and a serious commitment a person can have chondros and have their care be as simple as a bp. Wouldn't recommend as a first snake but experienced keepers shouldn't have too much of an issue setting one up.... or more ;-) All I can say is I love chondros!

8. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

It's about time bro!!!!!! Haven’t seen your collection in a while, as always your Chondros are stunning..... However, seeing that you need help in deciding on which male to use, I have decided to do you a favor and help you decide. Why don't you ship your female and both males over to my place? I will then observe and gather information ( I can't promise you that it will be quick) after that's done I'll simply forward you a report with my conclusions ;|(|........

As for caring for Chondros, I personally believe that these snakes require more seasoned hands. Ball pythons although picky eaters, can still survive and tolerate the hands of a beginner as opposed to a snake that has very specific requirements like the GTP. However, you did make a valid point anyone who is willing to take the time and effort in learning the in's and out's of a species can truly care for anything’s with ease. Sadly those people are far and few in between.

9. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

I want a baby!!!! ;)

10. JoeyG

Lol! I want babied too :).

Flores, I'll send them to you if you put the work in for me to breed them ;-)

11. JoeyG

Auto spell on the phone keeps changing words on me....

12. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Deal!!!!!!!

13. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

That's one **** of a deal! xD

14. JoeyG

Okay get the cages ready and be sure to be able to drop temps down to 70 over night ....maybe a little more, will need a day temp of 86 and spray more too. Try to avoid any RIs and be ready to deal with one if it comes up (my neighbor is a Vet ;) ) You'll need a nesting box and I'm still trying to figure if I'll let mom do it or me. haven't built the incubator yet.... if she takes I'll just buy one, shhh don't tell Angel. You sure you'll be able to send all the babies and breeding pairs back ;) I'll give you the "pick of the litter". Hey I owe you PM about what we talked about too.

15. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

:confused: HAHAHAHAHAAHH, I got you, I have two giant double door (36” x 18” x 36”) exo-terra tanks.. My reptile room is at a steady 74 degrees at night, all of my reptiles have constant heating element so there is no need to keep the room warm. As for the misting, Dee and I wake up at 5am to go to the gym so we can mist your guys in the morning and before going to bed. As for the heating, I extra thermostats in case of emergency so I will be using that to maintain a nice tempt gradient for them. As for the lay box that's easy Dee breeds parrots I'm sure we have new nesting boxes suitable for your girl. Now for the vet, AHA, because I'm required to have a class III license for the sale and/or exhibition of exotics I’m required have a vet on hand 24/7. Fortunately, my vet used to work for Miami Metro Zoo and is extremely knowledgeable with Reptiles... BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA as far as incubating goes I have two one for geckos and the other for pythons. The one for python is a Magic Chef wine cooler with a tinted glass door so I will be able to see the eggs at every developmental stage...as for sending you back the pair and offspring’s, that’s fine with me but I want a pair!!!!!!!!!!! buahahahahahahahahahaha "WINNER"....>:);|(|

In all seriousness this is all true, Due to the fact that Dee and I have a Class III license, we are subject to surprise visits from the FWC so we need to have everything and extra if we don't want to get fined or have our license revoked the only thing I’m low on is heat packs for shipping.

As for your PM, no worries....and feeding begins tomorrow I am very excited to see who eats.

16. JoeyG

Wow! You're way ahead of me!!! to be honest I'm a little nervous over the whole thing. Would hate to fall on my face but I know it's a real possibility with these guys. No worries if I succeed I got you ;)

I've hand medical training on humans but I'm learning a bit from my neighbor for my snakes. All the breeders I know have helped tons as well. Good to have experienced people like you around to set the rest of us straight.

PM sent

17. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

Well, whom ever breeds these GTPs needs to send me constant PM updates as the season goes along. I am really interested in the breeding process, and I learn by watching/observing. :D

18. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

LOL, it’s not that I'm ahead. The two tanks were given to me as partial trade for a Boa a while back and they've been collecting dust in my laundry room for a long time. The rest is just common things people like us need if we have a collection to care for. As I stated before I've always wanted GTP's but never really had the chance in finding a breeder that truly dedicated their time to the species locally.

Remember, part of breeding is the possibility of messing up. It took time for Dee and I to perfect our breeding methods with our leopard geckos and African Fat tails. Now, even though we've had a nearly perfect hatch rate with the ball pythons there are still things that we need to perfect. Like I said before, anyone can breed reptiles it's amazingly easy. However, true breeders take the time to do research and understand what needs to be done.

You're extremely lucky to have a vet near you with reptile experience. I wish my vet lived nearby; sadly there is a 45 minute drive between my house and his office. Thanks for the compliment but there are still many things I need to learn, new methods and theories are being proven daily so there is always something new to learn.