This Disappears When Logged In

Posting My Savannah Monitor Cage Build For Anyone Needing Ideas

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Lori68, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Lori68

Lori68 Active Member

Me again. Just posting a thread for those of you who are getting a sav, or already have one but need ideas on building a cage for yours. It can be straight forward like mine with 2x4's for framing, then plywood and a moisture proof barrier over top. What's great about framing the cage with 2x4's is that it gives you the ability to lay down insulation as well, which keeps the cage temps more stable.

I am not a tall person, so to make the build easier on me I made it in 2 parts. There is a base and then afterwards a top that got attached. The base has 2 foot high walls (also added extra studs to add to the strength of it since there will be a lot of soil putting pressure on it), then a top that has 4 foot high walls.

I hope this post helps those of you who are wanting to build something but aren't quite sure how to go about it. My way is not the only way to do it, but a sturdy build does have to be considered when you will have a ton of soil in a cage. Plywood just nailed together won't hold up to much

stage 3-assembling the base.jpg stage 5-adding walls.jpg

Attached Files:

Darkbird and kriminaal like this.
  2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

THAT is the proper way to build a monitor enclosure for bigger than a dwarf monitor.
    A micro habitat.

3. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Looks great !!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Blooms really well done. As long as the interior was sealed properly I doubt you'll ever have any issues with that setup. One question I do have though, are the murals sealed over with something to help protect them? Just asking as I have seen them get rather torn up by monitor claws when used in a reptile zoo.

5. Lori68

Lori68 Active Member

Those murals are laminated onto a plastic sheet called styrene (the same type of plastic that lines the inside of fridges. The substrate level is lined with puckboard which is the same kind of thing hockey rinks have along the walls. Perfect material to use for a Canadian sav I think :)

Those pictures were printed at work and I was able to get them done for free. The bit of damage that has happened from scratching (so far) hasn't been too bad. If it got really bad I'd replace them with either the same or something else...but I do kind of like the Ghana scenery backdrop

6. Lori68

Lori68 Active Member

A shot of Baturi with the background. He had a thing for that large log and I'd often find him hanging around on one of them. When I posted pictures of him with the backdrop in view, it always fooled people into thinking the cage is bigger than it is, or surprisingly some thought he had an outdoor cage

Attached Files:

• 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      840.7 KB
      Views:
  7. LindsayMak

LindsayMak Member

I'm so glad you posted this as I'm desperately seeking some level of comfort/competency in getting Spike's cage together. I know zero about building so please excuse me if I'm totally off base but from looking at photos of the bottom portion am I correct that you put a base of plywood, then the support frame of 2x4s followed by another sheet of plywood and a moisture barrier? Did you put insulation in the floor as well? Also, what kind of moisture barrier did you use?

Thanks so much!

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would guess that Lori did use insulation in the floor, and I think she used FRP (fibreglass reinforced plastic) on the bottom and sides up to the substrate level. Similar to this example belonging to a friend of mine (Aja Michelle)... You can just see the top of the FRP (the white material)...
    aja2[1].jpg

LindsayMak likes this.
  9. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

I really like the setup of both. I'm in the beginning stages of getting every thing to start building one. I had a lady call and tell me her husband through his Savannah out. Not sure if its the same one. I plan on keeping her.