This Disappears When Logged In

Post Your Pups!

Discussion in 'Member Photos' started by Vers, Jul 24, 2012.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Cute, "look Dad, I still have one toe on the ground" lol

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Pretty much!

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm still waiting for updated pics on my new puppy. But in the meantime here are my California boys:
    All rescue/second-hand dogs that my sister has taken in.

Mikey: the black standard poodle, Niners: the VERY gold golden retriever (49er colors) and Reggie: the sweet submissive chocolate lab.

402688503.jpg

I just saw a quote somewhere: "Adopting a dog won't change the world --- but it WILL change the world FOR THAT DOG!"

Attached Files:

4. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

BBDs! Merlin, you just got like 100 bonus points. :D

5. Merlin

BBD? Big black dogs?

6. CentriRitanni

Yep. BBD. Too many go without rescue.

7. Merlin

I suspected as much. The owner of the rescue (OK Save a Dog, out of Prague OK) is a friend of mine. I personally have never understood the bias against black dogs!

Except for the fact that it makes it darned hard to find them in the back yard at night!

8. CentriRitanni

Well, from the time I spent in the shelter, my best guess is people tend to associate big black dogs with "aggressive" breeds (guard dog types) like dobermans, rottweilers, german shepherds, and big labs, etc, so they assume that any black dog is a mean dog. There was also a theory floating around that it may be because their fur shows up the worst (which I totally disagree with, having dogs that shed white is so much worse), and yet another that their coats are just boring, and people would rather have pretty or unique colors. I don't know that it can really be explained, but there if you've worked in a shelter, it's easy to see that the bias is very real. My 3 dogs before my boys were BBD rescues, and you are right, finding them at night takes some work! I got the short hairs reflector collars. >.< Didn't do much to help with the long hair.

If I get a bigger yard, I will definitely get another BBD. :) I love large and giant breed dogs, the bigger the better, and the blacker, the more likely I can get one that will be enormous. ;) Now I just have to wait for someone to abandon a black and gray tibetan mastiff and my doggy dreams will come true, haha.

9. BlackJack

The dog school for the blind here in Switzerland says they prefer to use black lab puppies as guide dogs because people tend to keep their distance even from a young black dog. They have much less of a "awwww how cute!" effect as the yellow labs.

So apparently this is a wide-spread phenomenon.
    (Although I've heard that in certain places in Asia black dog is a delicacy...)

10. Merlin

Which is really funny considering that black labs are generally one of the most mellow breeds of dog that there are!
    Mine is worthless as a watchdog.
    Because he KNOWS that everyone that comes by, came to play with HIM!

11. BlackJack

Well I think that's the other reason they're used as guide dogs... mellow but people keep away from them! PERFECT if you expect a dog to do a job without running up and greeting (or chasing) every person, dog, cat etc that happens by. That would be a bit tough on the blind person!!!

12. CentriRitanni

Both are true. When Ed was in training to be a service animal most of the other dogs were black labs.