This Disappears When Logged In

Possible Shell Rot, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by JeremyYbarra, Oct 23, 2013.

1. JeremyYbarra

JeremyYbarra Member

Hey guys i'm new here but i have a problem with my turtle's shell. I originally bought these hatchings in chinatown for my ex girlfriend, she ended up not wanting them and so i took them and have been taking care of them for about a month and a half now. My tank has a basking spot at about 90, the water is heated to about 75-80, i have a uvb 5.0 bulb and a reptifilter. i feed them pellets daily and although they don't usually eat too much of it, i feed them romaine lettuce or spring mix from trader joes. The problem im having is that since i got these turtles from my ex, I've noticed that one is a little less active than the other and coincidentally has a hard white spot on it's shell that doesn't smell and won't come off. The other turtle doesn't have this problem; however, both shells are faded and look to have a thin, clear layer over them. I'm curious if this is the result of shell rot, mineral deposits from when they were poorly cared for, or possibly both. Both turtles are good eaters, and are active in the water, but the one with the white spot is a little less active and seems to be getting worse. I have them both dry docked and i apply betadine to their shells daily. Please help!

Turtle "hospital"
    turtle1.jpg

Turtle with hard white spot/faded shell
    turtle2.jpg

Turtle with no white spot but with faded shell
    turtle3.jpg

Turtle's current 20 gal tank
    turtle4.jpg

2. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

oh it seems just like yesterday that I went thru the same thing with my little dude. It does not appear to be rot to me. Looks like h e is getting ready to shed. Yes.. Shed. the shell grows and the little older pieces will flake off. you wont really notice it that much when they are small but when they get bigger, and yes they will get MUCH bigger, it will be more obvious. As long as your turtle can get completely out of the water onto a dry ramp to bask daily it should be perfectly fine. It needs to be able to completely, totally dry itself out. so just follow that rule and all will be well. now make sure he has enough water to swim and fantastic filtration and youre going to have a happy turtle.

3. JeremyYbarra

JeremyYbarra Member

wow thanks a lot! i'll be keeping an eye on the spot, but im glad to know i can stop stressing haha

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah it doesnt look like shell rot. The inactivity is probably due to bullying. You should either look into a larger tank or (this is a better option) seperate them so that the little one isnt being bullied anymore.
    Turtles arent social creatures so keeping them in pairs can cause alot of aggression towards each other.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Shell rot is usually pretty easy to tell - a soft spongy, rotting shell, often falling apart or developing holes. If your turtles shell is still hard, then it isn't rot (which is good news)

Your turtles will however need separating. It looks like you have Red Eared Sliders, and they get very big. Size aside, problems will arise regardless of the gender combination.

No need for a glass tank (unless you want one) my 18 year old Map Turtle lives in a plastic bin (and has for years!) They are much more affordable, much less breakable, and very easy to maintain. You can put gravel on the bottom (or omit it) and simply stack up flagstones or bricks to make basking platforms.

Salad lettuce is of little or no nutritional value. If you want to supplement your pellet diet with healthy wholesome foods, check these lists for acceptable turtle fare:

Diet - Greens Information
    Diet - Vegetables Information
    Diet - Fruits Information

Other good foodstuffs for turtles include:

Captive bred inverts such as crickets, mealworms, superworms, earthworms, cockroaches, etc.

(wild caught insects have often traveled, and may be carrying toxic pesticides or other chemicals which could sicken your turtle)

Fish, minnows, pinkies, and other whole prey.

Check your local bait shops - many carry worms, crickets and minnows much cheaper than local pet shops do.

6. Carmille

Carmille Member

Hi guys. I'm a newbie here. I came across this thread when I was looking for infos about my turtle's shell. My turtle, Jerry has the same white spots on his shell just like JeremyYbarra's turtle but I need to be sure. Could anyone tell me if he is just shedding or is it something more serious? His shell was okay when I had him 7 months ago. Only recently white spots appear on his shell. He is about 2", been feeding him pellets and some veggies, change his water tank pretty much everyday, have uvb and uva lights, basking area. I'm so inexperience turtle owner. I have a picture attached. Any advice would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance,
    Carmille

Attached Files:

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Welcome to herpcenter! You should introduce yourself in the new member forum.

As to you Turtle, if the spots are hard, there is little chance of it being rot.

Hardwater buildup can happen on shells, and give them a pale appearance. If you have hard water, it may be leaving minerals on your turtles shell when he climbs out to bask, and the water evaporates.

Kind of like the white mineral deposits on your shower if it hasn't been cleaned very recently - just minerals from the water - generally harmless, but not pretty.

Also, if a scale is about to shed, it sometimes lightens in color. This too is normal.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

When his shell is dry does it look flaky? are the spots soft and squishy to the touch? Do the spots smell?

9. Carmille

Carmille Member

Oh I will introduce myself and Jerry in the new member forum. Maybe when I'm not at work and constantly looking over my shoulder :)

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I use tap water for his water tank. I also use that white colour turtle-shaped conditioner. Last time I check they don't smell. No the spots are not that soft and squishy. How long does it takes for the scales to shed? It's been over a month since the white spots appeared. What should I do? Any advice?

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Just leave it be. Sometimes it can take several months for the scale to shed completely-it all depends on your turtles rate of growth.

11. Medium

Medium Elite Member

If you have shell rot...you need a vet!!! NOW!

12. Carmille

Carmille Member

Thank you for your advice!