This Disappears When Logged In

Possible RI?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by categoryfour, Mar 4, 2013.

1. categoryfour

categoryfour Well-Known Member

Harry my ball python has been opening and closing his mouth quite a but recently. He has no discharge but I swear I heard him squeak. About a week or two ago he stretched across his water bowl and dunked his head and I saw bubbles. Could he have breathed in water? Would that have something to do with it? He is as active as ever and going into shed so his humidity is upped a little too. Does this sound like an RI?

2. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

I am not to sure mate....some of it sounds like a respiratory infection. Here is a link on it....Hope this helps!
    Respiratory Tract Infection in Reptiles

3. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Are his breaths weazing at all?

4. categoryfour

Not really. I thought I heard him squeak though.

5. Salazare Slytherin

Salazare Slytherin Elite Member

Hmmmm, I have to say I would be tempted to increase his temps by a few degrees, which raises the question what are his temperauteres? RI's unfortunately don't just show up over night, something has to have been off for some time for visible signs to be showing now, I don't think it is water related, this does sound like something is wrong somewhere, ideally a vet would be a good idea but for now I would look at increasing his temps, = increasing his immune system.

6. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

What about small clicks in his breathing?

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Did he recently eat or is he getting ready to shed? I find they like to loosen the skin around their mouths when they are ready to shed. You can try bumping up his temps 5* and see if that helps. With an RI you will hear crackling and popping sounds.

I just reread what you wrote. I bet anything he is just trying to loosen that skin around his face so he can shed. If he is still doing it after he sheds then I would start to worry about an RI.

8. categoryfour

I bet it is the skin. He's looking pretty pitiful right now so I'll just keep an eye on it and if it persists after he sheds I'll make him an appointment.
    His temps are about 93-94f hot side and 80f cool side.measured with an acurite digital thermometer.

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Temps are perfect :) Also when the skin is loose in the nostrils it can make a squeeky sound too. Good luck with his shed :)

10. categoryfour

Thank you for the help:) I was afraid of something really bad. I'll update when he sheds!

11. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I wish you luck!