This Disappears When Logged In

Possible Outdoor Enclosure Build.

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Darkbird, May 15, 2014.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, this is just an idea I'm kicking around in my head at this point, and the odds of it getting done this summer are slim, but I am considering putting one together. I have a hole in the yard which has been a burn pit for brush and such, and I was thinking that with a rubber liner and very little ground work it could be made into a rather nice 6' or so pond. This would then be enclosed by a 8'×16' cage, constructed out of treaded lumber and 1"×1 " welded wire mesh. I'm actually thinking in terms of a solid wall 12" or so high above ground and at least 6" below. Top would be mesh covered too, for predator protection. There would of course be tons of climbing branches and shaded areas in the form of constructed shelters and giant half logs. All this is for my sulcatta, beardies, my aquatic turtles, my v. rudicollis, and whatever else I think would benefit from some outdoor time. Obviously not all at the same time, I'm just reptile crazy not stupid crazy. My question here is, do you think this will be adequate for the animals I listed and is there anything obvious I'm missing in this plan? All advice and input appreciated. Oh and the sulcatta is only about 6-7" so she can't tear through the wall I have planned.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I think it would be great. Sounds really cool. We're putting a pond in this summer too. (Only a Koi pond though)

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like you got all the basics covered.
    Would be an interesting build and some high quality UV time.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Sounds great to me.... I'm Still.gathering things to build my iguana`s outside enclosure...... I got most the lumber but I still need to buy my pond liner and concrete and pump for my concrete foundation and for its pond.......

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well talked to the wife about it last night and she likes the idea. She even mentioned maybe making it 12'×16' so we could make the pond a bit bigger/deeper. We'll see, the cost of the mesh alone will be pretty high. Plus all the ground work, and guess who'll be the one operating the shovel, lol. Of course, all this means we have to find another spot to burn brush and leaves. Planning to use 4×4s for the corners and maybe the other posts, leaning toward 2×4 for the sides to save cost. Not sure if I'll hve any posts in the middle, I'd like to keep it open but the overhead may end up needing support. Of course all this is theoretical, have to find time around 50+hr a week job, caring for the collection, family, my other hobby, etc.