This Disappears When Logged In

Possible New Addition

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Dragoness, Nov 10, 2014.

1. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

What is he drinking "at every bath"? Not the medicated water?

If you are worried that he may be dehydrated at all, I wonder if it would be too stressful to give him a tube feed of paedialyte? This is a children's rehydration liquid.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He typically sits with his head on the edge of the tub for a while at each bath before trying to go back to his cage. I use a squeeze-bulb to give fresh water at this time - and he usually drinks a little bit for me. I don't even have to grab his head, just wait for him to open his mouth (which he does very frequently), and put the tip in (past the glottis), and start squeezing gently, and he swallows as I do. I don't get much in him this way, but some is better than none. I am going to ask the vet about giving some pedialyte this way.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That's a good idea, pedialyte.

I once had a spiny iguana with a broken jaw (not sure exactly how that happened, he was returned to the pet shop I worked at in high school that way), the tip of his lower jaw was gone. Anyway I made him a sort of "smoothie" with egg, ground chuck, calcium, I feel like I had a few more things in there but it's been awhile (longer than I'd like to admit) and after he figured out what I was doing he took to it pretty happily. Took him maybe a month of this but he healed and started eating on his own.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have slurried other herps before, usually with recipes my vet approved.

We aren't terribly worried about calories for this guy (yet) as much as hydration. Though the vet would like to see him a little bulkier.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, it looks like he is going to shed in the future - he has the pink belly, and his eyes are just starting to get misty. Hopefully, it doesn't go too badly for him - in addition to the big wounds, he has dozens of small lacerations, scrapes, cuts, and places where the scales were chewed down to little stumps. All of this might combine for an awful shed, but maybe the daily baths, and extra humidity will help balance it out a bit.

Mouth swelling is going down a little. Starting to look like a boa face again.

The wounds are starting to slough necrotic tissue, and healthy, pink, tissue is now visible, even on some of the worst ones.

Many of them are starting to weep/ooze, mostly clear and serous fluids - which is also good. Many of the wound tissues were very dry (reminiscent of jerky) when he first came to me, but now they are better hydrated, and more likely to start healing.

He is very willing to take fluids orally at bath time. I don't know if his mouth injuries make drinking from a dish difficult for him or not, but I have not yet seen him drink from his bowl.

Overall, I see improvement in him.

6. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Thank you for the frequent updates on V. It is great to hear how he continues to improve under your care. My fingers are crossed that his shed goes as smoothly as possible.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Hopefully this shed goes well, I kind of wonder how long it's been since he shed at all, let alone a nice clean one. Definitely take some pics after, I imagine he'll look quite a bit better.

8. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Glad to hear he's improving. Just hope he doesn't get too spoiled and insist on being watered by hand after he heals up, lol.