This Disappears When Logged In

Possible Future Owner Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Majrab1389, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

image.jpeg So I've kept water dragons for the past 10 years or so and I'm looking into something new.
    The available enclosure I have is 6'Hx4'Lx2'D and is set up for something tropical.

I'm wondering:

if that would be enough space?
    can they be hand tamed at all (not cuddled but easy to hold for vet trips, showing kids, etc.)?
    and if possible, which species would best be suited?

Thanks!!!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I know the old info says Chameleons needs lots of screen but that is out dated info.
    I would look at a Veiled Chameleon. Kids and everyone are fascinated by them as to their unique appearance and characteristics.
    Nice setup by the way.

Majrab1389 likes this.
  3. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

Thanks, yeah after doing a bit more research chams seem to be a good fit. I've seen them at expos over the years!

Since I built it all myself , well the custom background and built a filtered waterfall and pond at the bottom. I only have about 1/3 of plants but I don't want to add any more without making sure the next pet wouldn't be harmed.
    And I actually have a mistking system somewhere which would be great for Chams. And it'lol be all running off of a herpstat4 and I've got new bulbs if I need them.
    Do you happen to know of the ideal UV readings for chams? I'll need to check my lighting with my meter and make sure I've got what they need.

Thanks for the enclosure compliment. It was hard work but totally worth it!

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

From what I've seen a 5.0 tube is all that's needed.
    I used to have a pair of veileds and I would say the screen enclosure killed them from lack of stable humidity.

Majrab1389 likes this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Some chams will tolerate a little handling. But some will detest it and do their best to bite you. They should be viewed more as a display animal.

Majrab1389 likes this.
  6. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

Thank you!

7. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

I understand most don't prefer to be handled but like my CWDs I got them to be comfortable enough to trust me when I pick them up to put them in their outdoor setup, by the window, or for vet checkups.

As far as kids go, I have none but every so often my little cousins come visit and they like to see my pets. Im Particular about my pets and don't want to Put them in danger.
    But I already have a mental note that chams are less tolerant to handling, and will make sure any visitors act accordingly.