This Disappears When Logged In

Possible Eye Infection

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by luggy978, Jan 31, 2011.

1. luggy978

luggy978 Member

My new cwd has something wrong with its eyes. They have swelled up slightly and are oozing some form of mucus. I have only had him a few weeks and am a bit worried. Could anybody please shed some light on the situation and also advise me on what the next step of action will be.

Than

2. CWDDoug

CWDDoug Active Member

What type of substrate do you have in his cage, and what are you feeding the little guy? Is it both eyes or just one? Is he keeping them closed most of the day?

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

A vet visit is in order. If its an infection, antibiotics will be needed.

What substrate are you using, if any?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

First things first, find a vet in your area who regularly deals with exotics. Get an appointment. They eye will need cleaned, and may require medication if it is infected.

Next - remove any and all substrate form the cage, and replace it with paper towels, newspaper, reptile carpet, or some other non-particular substrate. There is a good chance your CWD got substrate in his eye. It happens pretty frequently.

My CWD has flare-ups from previous eye damage. My vet told me to use these, and recommends them for reptile eye problems. Most petco/petsmart stores will carry it.

Is there any debris in the eye?

5. luggy978

luggy978 Member

Hi, I have a feeling the substrate is the problem. I'm using planation soil and orchid bark, a mix of the two because i have planted some real plants and he is always digging them up. i feed him crickets, locusts, mealworms and butterworms. His eyes are open all day

Hi jen, thanks for the advice. I have set up my viv with a mix of soil and bark so i could put in real plants, and i think this is the problem. I have just give him a bath and it cleared up for while but now its returned. I'll clean the viv out asap and replace it with carpet. What was the item recommended to you by your vet?

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

7. CWDDoug

CWDDoug Active Member

I would have to agree that it is the soil. I also tried to do soil and bark mix, but my CWD ended up getting a coco hush fiber behind one of his eyes and I had to take him into the vet to have them pull it out. Also you don't have to use carpet, you can also use newspaper and paper towels if you wanted, but I would try to get the soil out. I ended up putting my plants in a smaller pot and used large river rocks to block the soil so my CWD couldn't dig in them.

Use the turtle drops Dragoness mentioned, my vet said it was a good first measure. If it doesn't clear up in a few days after using the drops you might want to take him in.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree, plants in pots. Best way to go. Think of all the pretty pots you can have!

9. luggy978

luggy978 Member

Hello, Just thought I'd post this to let you know. On returning home the other day from uni, his eye was puffed up like a marble. When I removed him from the viv he wriggled and it popped so I took him to the vet and to be honest he did'nt have much of a clue. He just prescribed some Futhithalmic cream for his eye (which was for dogs,cats and rabbits!!) and gave me some medicine called Baytril Oral. These seem to be working fine. But when I got home from the vets he still had someting in his eye. I removed this with warm water and some cotton wool. it was obviously the substrate. I've got kitchen towel down at the moment, but have got some carpet on order. Thanks for all tou advice. I'll post some pics soon as I learn how..

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

We have a reptile vet finder on this website. I'm sorry you had a clueless vet!

As to the med being for dogs/cats/rabbits there are many medications which are generally safe for many species (some de-wormers can be used on reptiles, livestock, cats, dogs and humans) Baytril is a good antibiotic for reptiles.

You can gently rinse the eye with warm water or eye drops to remove debris, but be very careful about using cotton, as the fibers can sick in the eye. Your CWD may lose the eye, or use of the eye, but that is survivable (Mine only has one totally functional eye). Mine just has bad vision, and has a hard time tracking anything that can move too fast (crickets and roaches)

Keep up the meds though! very important. Oral and ophthalmic infections in reptiles can spread to the brain if not caught early!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your poor CWD.

11. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Oh my gosh!! All these substrate stories scare me...maybe I will just stick to repti-carpet forever for everything.

I would be interested to see pics of his eye. Good luck!!!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

CWD seem to have a penchant for substrate-in-eye problems. I think every other thread in the forum is about eye problems. I wonder how they deal with dirt in the wild?

13. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

I was wondering this as well...so weird.