This Disappears When Logged In

Poppy

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by Bitis Gabonica, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Today Poppy, one of our bearded dragons, lost the fight for her life, after 18 difficult weeks. :(
    Poppy was one of our dragons bred from our first clutch this year. She did very well the first couple of weeks of her life, but it soon became apparent that she was the "runt" of the clutch, and wasn't growing with the other dragons, so we separated her and housed her alone so that we could keep a close eye on her progress. Poppy was a little hoover when it came to eating :p but she just didn't seem to be growing, and it soon became obvious that she had some king of blockage or impaction (we kept her on paper towels so it was obviously not a substrate impaction). We monitored her carefully and she was still excreting so she wasn't contipated. After a visit to the vet we were administering medication for impaction orally, every other day, but the vet warned us there was only a 50-50 chance, as she was unsure as to whether the blockage was a genetic disorder or whether we could help it. Sadly the medication didn't seem to be working, and there was nothing else we could do but wait and see.. at some point last night Poppy drifted off into an eternal sleep. I hope it was peaceful and I am so relieved that at least now she is hopefully in a better place, perhaps there is a peace in death that we could not give her in life. It was painful and devastating to lose her, but we did all we could - i just wish we could have done more. :(

Poppy.. now I lay thee down to sleep, I pray the Lord your soul to keep,. If you should die before you wake, I pray the Lord your soul to take. Rest in peace. We love you.

P.S. Just want to add a thank you to Donna (aka Steel Rip) - you are like a rock to my side, thank you for your support throughout a very difficult day.

Attached Files:

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Rachel,
    My heart goes out to you, Joe and Poppy for your loss. We and Poppy know you did all that you could to help her along, Like your vet said, It could be genetic and there was nothing that could be done. My family will say a prayer for the poor little guy tonite,,,,,god bless

3. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

I'm so sorry to hear that guys, I know you were crossing your fingers for her :( I'm thinking of her running around big strong and happy, digging in the sand wherever the Better Place for dragons is *comfort and hugs for Rachel and Joe*

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

I am so sorry Rach. I know you did all you could and poppy is going to be just fine in Dragon heaven. I know how hard it is to lose one you tried so hard to save. :(

6. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Anytime, i am always here for you.

I am so sorry Rachel, you did your very best, she will be in a nice place now happy, and pain free, I cant say better place, as the love you gave her was the best, and you did your best, I thinking of you both, and prayers for Poppy.

7. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Im sorry

Im sure that Poppy knew how much you loved him/her! You worked hard but some things are just meant to be....*hugs*

8. cman

cman Elite Member

so sorry to here the news it will be ok

9. Anolee

Anolee Active Member

Sorry for your loss Bitis. You consoled me and now I offer the same thing. I hope your pain will subside when you see your other Beardies and Collards.

I felt like crying when I read the post. It was just so sad.

10. Bitis Gabonica

Thank you guys so much for your support - you are all such wonderful people! Although Poppy dying was upsetting, it was also a relief that she is no longer in pain. It was also a relief to know that she probably passed away in her sleep, which would have been a peaceful way to go - when we discovered her she looked as if she were smiling. What a special little girl! :)

11. cman

cman Elite Member

ohh well if that isnt a sign that she loved ya and shes tellin ya shes gonna go to a better place

12. Bitis Gabonica

That's so sweet - thank you! :)

13. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Poppy is chasing crickets over the rainbow now...
    (((((hugs))))) to you Bitis :)

14. Bitis Gabonica

I certainly hope so!! Running riot and having fun i bet! Thank you.. :)

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Rach you KNOW that you and Joe did everything you could. You extended a life that in the wild would have been much shorter. Having to deal with situations like this is the price we pay for sharing our lives with other beings. Occassionally we have to let them go.
    Its better for them no matter how rough it is on us. You have to put the animals quality of life first and foremost. Just know that you did what you could do.
    And be proud!

16. Bitis Gabonica

Thank you Merlin.. that means more than you know.

It was difficult, as we constantly debated whether to end her life painlessly and put an end to her misery, or to leave her and wait to see if she got better or passed on. We were sure after a while that she would not make it, but after so long we decided we couldn't put her down, just in case her situation improved,. whether that was the right decision or not is hard to tell, but there is no going back now, and at the time it was right for us. I'm glad she went in peace though, there is some comfort in knowing that she just went to sleep and never woke up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.