This Disappears When Logged In

Poop Concern

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by labelleninirose, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Well she has 2 water bowls but I have never seen her go in them or drink...the humidity varies a lot. I try to keep it around 50% but it always drops down even with 2 towels on the top. I spray it like 5 times a day and give her a bath once a week...plus I also dip her mice or rat in water before so in another way she gets water...do snakes tend to let them go thirsty???

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

As long as they have clean water, they will usually drink, though my ball is very stubborn. I rarely see her drink.

3. labelleninirose

Lol before lights out here, I change the water bowls of my frogs, python iguana and leo everyday and add reptile stuff from hagen to remove the chlorine. so yeah they always have fresh water.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Snakes have to be very comfortable with you before you will see them drink.
    If there is water available they will be drinking.

5. labelleninirose

she ''pooped'' another urate weird thing again...no poop at all just urine and that...Its defenatly urate. its white and breaks apart easily. she eats fine and last night was pretty active. no real defecation yet...should I be looking at a vet visit or since its urate I should just let things go...I think this is the 3rd week with no poop. let me know.

6. Merlin

You might want to look at the size of prey that you are feeding. If the size, or frequency, of feeding is insufficient they will not "go" as often. The fact that there has been two passings of urates without fecal matter makes me wonder.

7. labelleninirose

I know the food I give her is not big enough so this is why I give her 2-3 mice a week...I cant get 100g rats here...so im stuck with 50g. they are bigger than a mouse but I know they are still a little small for her. I'm going down to Quebec city soon, Ill pick up loads of bigger rats for her. but for now what do you suggest I do?

8. Merlin

The multiples will do fine if that is what you need to do. It's just not as "efficient" or cost effective.
    Something else you might try is to run a tub of lukewarm water and put her in and let her swim a bit. This may loosen things up. Be ready for her to become quite active and moving around attempting to escape from the tub. Let her swim for 10-15 minutes but keep an eye on her that she doesn't have any problems or manage to get out.

9. labelleninirose

she really hates the bath...it breaks my heart to see her stress out but if its what I have to do ill do it! I just dont understand...the guy who had her before fed her 1 mouse a wekk or a rat ever 2 weeks and she went to the bathroom weekly! and now she has not pooped in 3 weeks but is not bloated. of course she has gained some weight! so you can see my confusion .

10. Merlin

Its also possible that she did her business right before you got her and the time span is normal.
    Just go ahead and give the bath a try. Its not like its something you are going to do daily. Its something new and she may be a bit off of it to begin with.
    But if you consider that they will voluntarily swim in the wild,...

11. labelleninirose

The 2 first weeks I had her she was weekly and ever since she has stopped.....

12. Merlin

For some reason I was thinking you had only had her for a very short time. :eek:
    Just give her the bath and see what happens.

13. labelleninirose

I sure will give her a nice bath :) btw she is not bloated or have a sort of lump near the tail. I'm going to clean her cage tonight since she peed that urate thing out and the smell or snake pee is not the most inviting...while I wash her carpets in the sink ill ask my hubby to give her a bath. so should I be worried about this, or has all the changes to better care make her want to gain weight and poop once in a blue moon :p as you know I worry alot :p

14. Merlin

LOL We all go thru it at one time or another !
    Yes changing things around can definately affect them.
    But 3 weeks in not enough time to start to panic.

15. labelleninirose

how many weeks is it time to worry about this :p gotta prepare myself for this :p

16. Merlin

LOL just go with the bath and see what happens.

17. labelleninirose

MERLIN SHE POOPED IN THE BATH TUB!!! it was huge! 10 inches atleast! I was cleaning out her cage and all of a sudden I hear my hubby calling me, I get there worried that my snake is in trouble or something....then I see it...omg...all I said was ''omg I gotta tell merlin'' and then he says''Merlin?, who is this merlin?" didn't have time to explain so here I am:D and he must think I have this imaginary friend or something! hahaha. she is tuckered out now...and I realised she was bloated when I saw the size of her body after...:( so now all I can ask myself is what made her hold it in?

18. Merlin

Thats GREAT!
    There may have been something that was clogging up the works, so to speak. Now that things have broken loose she should be fine. A lot of times the swimming movement and the water tends to make them evacuate.

Now just make sure that your Hubby doesn't think I'm some boyfriend you have stashed somewhere!!;)

19. Merlin

Oh yeah and it should go without saying but wash the tub in bleach water before human use.

20. labelleninirose

tub is clean :) poor thing is so tierd...she is sort of weezing a little.. im guessing this was alot for her. I guess she was clogged up bad and maybe the fact the urate was passing threw 10 inchs of pure dung then maybe that is why it had the weird color :eek: I'm washing the repti carpets tonight so everything will be clean, she is on a towel for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.