This Disappears When Logged In

Pneumonia & Septicemia- Any Hope?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Zambinina, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I rehabilitated a very sick boa once with far worse problems than you describe here.

I would boost her temperatures a little, but keep her humidity normal (peruse our caresheet if you have questions about the temperature or humidity ranges a Ball should be kept at)

Rest, heat and sanitation are of the utmost importance for now. Don't handle her more than you need to, and keep her warm, and her cage spotless - especially her water dish. If you are worried about sanitizing hides, use cardboard boxes (cereal, crackers, etc,) and simply throw them away once they are no longer any use to her.

You can usually buy a temp gun on amazon, or at a local herp show for $20-$30.

If humidity is low in the cage, you will need to replace it with a better cage (best bet long term) or fix the lid. reptiles need very little ventilation, in fact, ventilation causes more problems than it solves. I regularly keep snakes in unventilated boxes like these for quarantine. They are marvelous for keeping heat and humidity in, especially in conjunction with a heater beneath them. Just line with something disposable (paper towel, butcher or news paper) and change daily.

Sterilite 6.2 Qt Modular Latching Box, Bamboo - Walmart.com

*edit* I use a larger tub than these, I am showing only the style I prefer - the ones with the handles that lock over the ends.

Darkbird likes this.
  2. Zambinina

Zambinina Member

Thank you, that gives me hope. I will go ahead and make a hide out of a cardboard box. I think I have one that is just the right size. I thought of that, but wasn't sure if it would be sanitary.. I disinfected the entire tank and everything in it before moving her, an have handled her only twice today- once to give her an antibiotic injection, and then to place her in the new tank. The plastic bag seems helpful. The humidity is registering at 60%. Coolest side of the tank 80 F and hot side around 100 directly in the light.. But I've placed my hand under it and I don't believe it to be quite that warm. I really need that temp gun...

3. Zambinina

Zambinina Member

For those of you who have treated these conditions successfully, how long did it take before you saw any improvement?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The vet may prescribe antibitoics for a few weeks, I usually saw improvement in about a week, and resolution in 2-4 (depending on the severity of the case).

Zambinina likes this.
  5. Zambinina

Zambinina Member

Thank you:)

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This is the rescue I did some time back. The snake had septicemia as well as respiratory infections (and a lot of other problems).

V's Recovery Thread | Reptile Forums - Information

Snakes are a lot tougher than we give them credit for, sometimes. Ball pythons are pretty hardy creatures, and unless there is an underlying problem that was overlooked, I see no reason your snake shouldn't make a full recovery.

7. Zambinina

Zambinina Member

WOW:(
    Here are a couple pictures of mine from Thursday before I took her to the vet. I'd say I haven't seen much improvement at this point, but definitely not looking any worse. She looks like she's going into shed, which I'm a little concerned about because I know it will just put more stress on her body. But maybe after shedding some of those crusty brown scales will come off and we can see what's underneath?

Attached Files:

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, have you asked your vet about nebulising the snake, and have you got a Temp-gun yet?

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

each shed should improve her scales! just make sure you keep your humidity high during the shed.

10. Zambinina

Zambinina Member

I've ordered a temp gun online, but it hasn't arrived yet. I think it should be here tomorrow. When I called the vet Friday to inquire about additional treatment options, the staff informed me that he had gone out of town for vacation (I guess because of Spring break) and that he would be back later in the week.. So still waiting to hear back. I think I might look for a new vet and get a second opinion. The one I went to is supposed to be the best and most knowledgeable in town, and was recommended to me by my friend who works in the reptile house at the zoo. But he didn't seem to care about the animal that much. He basically told me I could try to treat it, but it was really bad- here were some antibiotics with the instructions on the bottle- and keep the snake warm. Like you, I think there are other treatment options available, but he was just too lazy or didn't have enough hope for the snake to discuss them with me.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I hope you do contact another vet to ask advise on the nebulising or any other treatment that might be of benefit.

12. Zambinina

Zambinina Member

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me recommendations on treating my snake (especially setting up the quarantine tank and getting the IR gun). I just got back from the vet, and he says there are no longer any signs of infection. After shedding a couple days ago, her scales have improved tremendously. The vet advised me to finish up the course of antibiotics, and
    after one more shed she should be completely back to normal.

Attached Files:

13. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Yay! Happy news!

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Quite glad to hear this. I would keep a vary close eye on thing for a few weeks after treatment has ended, but it sounds like you should be OK.

15. Zambinina

Zambinina Member

Hello everybody:) Last update I posted, my snake had recently shed and was looking much better. I went for a follow up with the vet, and he said she was looking great. No signs of pneumonia or septicemia. We went ahead and finished the course of antibiotics (last injection two days ago). Airway completely clear.
    Over this last week I've been noticing some fading of the scales along her back that wasn't previously there. I've never seen anything like this on her before. My first impression was that this could be some stuck shed (even though the temperatures and humidity were absolutely perfect she still did not shed in one piece), but I don't believe it is.. I'll include some pictures. I apologize if they're not that great, but you should be able to see the fading. Is this anything I should worry about, or just some discoloration that's developed as a result of her illness and a bad shed? The vet did make it clear that he would really like to see her after another shed... But I'm wondering if this is something that needs to be examined sooner rather than later? I've still not been able to get her to eat, but otherwise she appears normal and healthy. She is also still in her quarantine enclosure.
    Cool side 80-82F, basking side 90-92F via IR gun, humidity lingers around 60. And I did raise the humidity to around 70-75 during the last shedding process.
    Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my posts.

Attached Files:

16. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

This is really just educated guessing, as I can't tell for sure. Looks like either just some dulled scales due to the earlier issues, or the possible start of another shed cycle. Sometimes a wound or other skin issue can set off a series of more rapid shed cycles than usual. Regardless, looks like one of those keep an eye on it things, as long as it doesn't start getting a lot worse. Actually looks a bit like the few dull scales one of my females had for a while after a less than ideal shed.

17. Mike L Gunter

Mike L Gunter Member

I'm totally a laymen far from anyone with the knowledge of a vet I'm just commenting without recommendation and my response is up to be scrutinized and regressed I'm here to tell you what I'd do in that scenario and firstly I'd have a surface temperature consistent with spec and the ambient temperature as well along with the cool side of the tank I would be certain there is no chlorine in the water with calcium supplements along with the vitamin powder on the prey and if the vet had said nothing more you can do I'd then apply extra virgin cold pressed organic coconut oil upon every surface in the enclosure and polish it in where it's not thick just a light glaze. I would also read about magnesium chloride spray just to ponder it being a possible aid to its respiratory problem unsure if reading about it would recommend a transdermal application or a very small amount in water and suppose I'd bottle feed it dechlorinated/filtered water to ensure it is well hydrated ... I'd also research if snakes can drink small amounts of mineral water...

18. Mike L Gunter

Mike L Gunter Member

I'also sterilize everything in the enclosure and quarantine as such boiling all you can and perhaps throughly clean other surfaces with hydrogen peroxide in a mist bottle. Also open for scrutiny needless to say . .