This Disappears When Logged In

Plywood Thickness

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Buggy0123, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I'm planning on building a 3'x3'x4' and I've got a lot of questions. (I'm really sorry if these are obvious or stupid I have only have the slightest clue what to do). First question- is plywood acceptable? Second question- how thick should it be? I was thinking half an inch but that seems somewhat thick. Third question- how do you waterproof? I was thinking about just using a shower lining and covering the wood with it. Forth question- would glass doors or mesh doors be better? Thanks.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes plywood is acceptable. For my enclosures I prefer 3/4 inch cabinet grade. Its a bit higher but it is already sanded and will save a lot of work, plus it looks good. I use several coats of polycrylic to water proof.
    And glass doors.

3. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Okay, thanks a lot. I'm planning to make a pond area in it, would the water proofing hold it okay or should I line it with something else..? Also, I was looking into boat wood. Wouldn't this be easier than plywood being as it doesn't have to be coated?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have not built any ponds in mine but if I were, I would use some sort of container. I am not familiar with "boat wood" but it would depend on exactly what it was sealed with. I do know that some people have built entire aquariums out of plywood and sealed it with marine epoxy but have no personal experience with this.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree, 3/4" plywood is the way to go.
    I would cut out an area for a tub and have a support underneath.
    Epoxy would seal it sufficiently, however it doesn't smooth out all that well so doing a thorough cleaning would be difficult. With a tub or container you can remove for a good cleaning if need be.

6. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

I've had good use with 3/4in marine plywood - expensive, but sealed polycrylic and topped with marine paint, it's never had any issues. - I've got a built-in pond in my enclosure. I added a 1" pvc drain pipe (with a valve obviously) for drainage. I carved out the wood and tapered it to help pull the water out. The only reason it get's a little less than fun to drain is because monitors like to make an absolute mess of their water... It may be over-engineered as far a enclosures go, but it's hard for me to constantly lift a tub of water out.

I'll get some pictures later - I don't have anything in the enclosure now, so it's clean and freshly caulked (like enough to seal an elephant to a wall).