This Disappears When Logged In

Plywood Terrarium Moisture Issues

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Terrence the skink, Mar 14, 2017.

1. I have my juvenile to adolescent blue tongue skink in a 30 by 16 by 10 inch terrarium and I want to upgrade him to a bigger tank out of plywood. What should I use to line the tank with or what sealer I could use to stop the wood from soaking up the moisture and rotting? Also would the top and front of the cage consisting of mostly screen door mesh be enough ventilation? If not what could I do to increase ventilation? Thx in advance to anyone who helps.

P.s this is my first time making an aquarium or terrarium out of plywood.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For sealing I use minwax polycrylic....4 or 5 coats.
    I suggest ditching the screen and going with a solid box with a glass front. A couple of small holes will provide enough ventilation.

4. thx

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The plywood will last a very long time with the polycrylic on. I would also suggest you silicone any corners or joints.

6. Thx but would I need 100 percent silicone?

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Different brands play with the names. Aquarium brands are good but generally more money.
    Kitchen and Bath products have mold inhibitors in them which you don't want.
    I always read the label to see what's in them.
    Mostly as I can never remember which one I used last time ;)

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Subscribed User Premium Member

I would use the 100% silicone types, but it doesn't necessarily have to be aquarium grade. GE used to make some that was perfect, but I haven't tried to find it in a long time. As was said, just try to avoid the kitchen and bath products as they usually have mold inhibitors and such in them.