This Disappears When Logged In

Plecostomas and Fish Tank Questions.

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Thalatte, Feb 7, 2014.

1. dragodragon262

dragodragon262 Well-Known Member

You cant really make a self contained water changing system, at least not that i am aware of. I have a gravel vac. That i use to do water changes and vacuum up gravel once a month. I mean i dont't have 300 fish i have 50. So yes as Froglet said you will probaly be having to do 50% water changes every week. May i ask what "substrate" you use for the fish tank?

2. dragodragon262

Also i can recomend a type of cleaning system if you use a gravel bottom.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I found it less messy to not use any substrate at all. Without the rocks the filter is able to suck up most of the feces and extra food. And then to compensate I have a house, tree, flagstones, and 3 floating dons for algae and bacteria to grow on.

4. dragodragon262

Okay that does sound less messy! For water changes alone you can purchase a gravel vac. Ik you dont have gravel, but this is also used to suck up the water in the tank and filter in fresh water! I got it from the fish store i bought my fish tank at, but i see it's online and probably in every fish/ pet store. Look into that as it requires minimal effort compared to the alternative, i.e. (Cleaning the filter more often and tanking 200 fish out and placing them in a temporary aquarium on a tank cleaning DAY!

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I never empty the cage completely as I need the algae growing in it. Instead I change the filters often and then just do partial water changes.