This Disappears When Logged In

Plecostomas and Fish Tank Questions.

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Thalatte, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have seen small ponds dry up to nothing and be dry for weeks.
    But when the rains came so did hordes of snails,

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

how comforting. So I may never get rid of the snail population?

3. Merlin

I believe that there is a product called "Snail-rid" but I have no experience with it. Other than that or stripping the tank and soaking everything in a heavy salt solution I am not sure. I always just smashed them against the glass and let the fish eat them.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Some of the chems that get rid of snails are not to friendly. One was a copper solution that was risky back in the day, no clue what todays method is. I just made sure I have a few darter loaches on hand... problem solved :)

5. trappen

trappen Elite Member

I have plecos and live plants and have 0 problems in my tank. Thal, get a couple dwarf puffers, they will gladly eat the snails (specially the little babys) and they are cute too!! I have four in my tank just to eat snails. But they also love a good blood worm now and then.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Dont puffers need brakish water?

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Look for assassin snails, they will eat the pond snails. I have them in my guppy tank, they make good food for my Oscar, maybe when I have a lot again I will see if Zap will eat them. I had a cory in Zap's fish tank and it did good, until the kids thought it was a goldfish and tried to feed it to her...
    I would skip the pleco's once they get so big all they do is poop. Otocats (the little thin alge eaters) and corys work good.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes they do! You can transition them over to a full salt water tank too. Just takes time slowly adding more salt.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well I dont think I want brakish water for tais swimming pool/drinking water...

I already have the 2 plecos and dont want to set up a seperate fish tank so they will stay in tais pond but thats fine as I like the looks of them.
    I will look for some assasin snails or darter loaches next time I have some extra money.

9. Merlin

Puffers will tolerate fresh water for a time, but they do best in brackish.

10. trappen

trappen Elite Member

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

where did you get them?

12. trappen

trappen Elite Member

I got them at a local shop here. Cute little guys that are great for snail control. Might have to look around or even online maybe? I am not sure of how available they are in your area.

13. Merlin

That is what I was about to say. I have never seen that particular species in the US.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

ok I will look into it then.

15. Froglet

Froglet Active Member

The fountain should work fine as it breaks the surface of the water it will speed up the release and of carbon dioxide and take in oxygen. The pleco is not a surface breather but they do occasionally take is a gulp of air to adjust their swim bladders for neutral buoyancy. If you do not have some kind of filter to move the water or air stone, 1 pleco should be just fine anyway. They are generally a hardy species. If you want a true labyrinth fish/ one that breaths at the surface, check out the Gourami family. They are so interesting too, the male builds a bubble nest on the surface and places the eggs in it with his mouth and then stands guard until they hatch.I was breeding endangered species Plecos from Brazil for 12 yrs and had over 3000 fish of all ages ing over 3000 gallons of water in my living room haha. Yes I live alone and on a ground floor too. I have since decided to stoop breeding, it is a lot of work. I am switching to Frogs now and very excited.

Not true merlin. I have been breeding Plecos for 12 yrs and have over 150 in a heavily planted 135 gallon tank with good filtration. There are even sone species that are carnivorous. They will eat soft vegetable and algae but mine will clean the algae off plants but they have never done any damage to them and I like my plants as much as the fish

Charcoal is a huge waste of money Thala. If want to do the best for them you should be doing a 50% or more water change at least once a month. This dilutes and built up toxins in the water and keeps the fish healthy. I do 50% plus water changes on all my breeding tanks every week. It all depends on how crowded the fish are. I have not lost a fish to disease in over 10 yrs now. This is the golden rule of fish keeping. Those Pleacos will be outgrowing that tank within a yr. You should try and find some Bristle nose Plecos. They reach a max size of 4-5 inches. The filter you have will help a great deal but you still should be doing regular water changes, not just refilling evaporated water. The waist will build up and they will get diseased.

The best snail animator I know of that is peaceful is the Clown loach. I put 4 Clowns
    in a 135 gallon tank that was choked with snails and within 2 weeks I could not find a single one. I am now thinking of breeding snails just to feed to them they love them so much.:)

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

One of my plecos ended up dying of unknown causes. I think it may have gotten smashed, not had enough to eat (new tank so no algae buildup but I tried adding algae pellets but never say them eat them-though tai seemed to like the algae pellets which was weird) or something and then the other pleco ate it overnight so now all thats left is a skull and some loose barbs I tried to siphon out. Also all the dead fish I just added into the tank were eaten withing a night. Am I underfeeding them? How much fish food would about 200 small fish need each day and how many times do I feed them?
    As far as water exchanges I was doing about 1/3 a month but I can certainly do more. How do you suggest siphoning the water out without sucking up any of the little fish? All I have at the moment is 20ft of 1/4in diameter flexible hose...
    Oh and would 1 pleco be fine in a 90gal tank? Because of Tai I need the larger cleaner fish so he doesnt try to eat it if he ever decides to try fish. Wouldnt want him to get hurt with the barbs or anything.

17. dragodragon262

dragodragon262 Well-Known Member

I have many tropical fish and have a large pleco. And i have a bubbler, but i'm not sure if i got that specifically for a pleco or for one of my other types of fish. I do know that my pleco hangs out by the bubbler alot. Not sure if one has to do with the other but it's what i see

18. Froglet

Froglet Active Member

Thalatte; If there is no algae your plecos would be happy to have a slice of zucchini, few spinach leaves or they love beet tops. Just boil them for 2 min first. The best way to feed any fish is small amounts a few-3 times a day so to feed those 200 Swordtails and Platys I would do about 1 Table spoon crushed up at least twice a day and if they do not clean it all up in 5-10 minutes lower the amount. That many fish in 90 gallons is a huge bio-load and you are going to loose a few more I would guess. If it was my tank I would be doing 50%/week min. Think of having to stay in a bathroom for a month without flushing the toilet. That is exactly what we put our fish through especially if they are crowded, so flush their toilet more often.
    To syphon the water out without sucking up babes is easy enough. I run my hose straight to the bathtub with a small filter end screen over the tank end. If you can't find a small screened end just use an elastic to attach a small piece of say old net material over the end. I use a 20' - 3/4" silicone hose that I bought at the hardware store, makes it a lot faster as I was changing about 1,500 gallons of water a week when I was heavy into breeding. Hope this helps. :">

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok I will get some stocking material to add onto the end then. If I added another oversized canister filter could I do 50% changes every other week? Obviously It would be while before I can do that but I will start searching for one now. It probably doesnt help that Tai uses that water to bathe, drink, and go potty in as well so I will definately look into more water changes to keep everyone healthy.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

also what would I have to do to make it a self contained system where I dont have to do water changes? Or any advice on making it cheaper to run if it cant become self contained?