This Disappears When Logged In

Plecostomas and Fish Tank Questions.

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Thalatte, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Most of you probably know but for those that dont my cwds swimming area is a 90gal fish tank complete with fish, it is currently a fully functioning tank but I am looking at rearranging tanks and setups so I need some help. I will be putting some of the fish (mainly the rosy red minnows) in a 40gal breeder set up (probably with the Firebelly toads but havent decided) its going to have a pump that will act as a fountain as well-will this put enough air in the water or do I still need a bubbler in it?

Next I am thinking about keeping only the Plecos with tai-they come to the surface to breath dont they? So I dont need a bubbler for them?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the fountain breaks the surface, it will do a fine job of aerating the tank. As for the Plex, no they do not come to the surface and breathe. You are thinking about cory cats. You are going to need aeration for the plex.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

that will look pretty cool thal.... post some pics when you decide

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh...Well I see them splashing to the top every now and then so I thought thats what they were doing. Thanks Merlin.
    Do you think its a bad idea to have the fish with the Fire bellies? All the fish are too big for the toads to eat so I thought why not? its not like the fish are going to attack the toads...

You know I had some cory cats and some red loaches in the 90 but I havent seen them in months...

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

When I had goldfish and later guppies with my FB toads they didn't do so well. Goldfish being better off in cold water I attributed their demise to the heat, but the guppies didn't do much better. The FB toxins have a way of stressing the fish. Not sure if a larger volume of water with better filtration would help or not. Some toxins are drawn out with charcoal scrubbers but I never set that up to check.

Plecs need agitated water, most come from fast shallow streams that are highly oxygenated. Depending on the exact plec (dozens of them) you can expect different results. Common aquarium trade Plecs can get over three feet long while others stay under 2feet and otocinclus (sp) stay only a few inches.

6. trappen

trappen Elite Member

In you 90 gal with the plecos put in some live plants. They will handle the CO2 - O2 exchange just fine as long as the water is not stagnant and on a filter that moves the water. Just filtering the water alone (depending on the filter) Is sufficient for 95% of the carbon exchange process. The set on the bottom of the tank type filters will not help with carbon exchange as they do not increase surface area of the water (CO2 is volatile meaning it wants to escape the water). A good current in the actual tank itself will also help by giving the pleco its natural fast flow of water while at the same time increasing rate of exchange by mixing the water.

7. Merlin

Live plants with plecostomus aren't going to work, They will eat them down to the stem.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Plus tai would destroy the plants. Already tried and he dug them up and dragged them out of the water into his branches.
    There is a strong current from the canister filter in the 90 gal tank but it doesn't break the surface of the water. Both the intake and output nozzles are on the bottom of the tank.
    The plecos I have are the common black ones that get really big. Currently they are probably 8 or so inches- not sure though as I haven't seen them much lately.

What about plants AND charcoal filtration in with the FBTs and fish? I know the snail is living just fine with the FBTs so. I thought the toxins wouldn't be soo bad with the fish.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

That surprises me about the snail, but I know little about snails except cooking and feeding to other critters...

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well they seem to appear magically and in overwhelming numbers. Tais 90gal tank suddenly has hundreds of miniscule snails in it and I have absolutely no idea where they could have come from as I never put snails in there.

11. Merlin

They come in on aquatic plants.
    And as far as the snails and the frogs, I have seen ponds where there were snails living in pretty nasty conditions. Even to the point of having oil floating on top of the water.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

But they showed up before the plants were put in. All the tank had was rocks and the old fishtank decor. I didnt add the plants at first as I didnt want snails but then after the magical explosion I figured I should just try the plants to see what would happen...The plants died and I still have way too many snails.

13. Merlin

Maybe the eggs were on the old tank décor? If the enclosure was outside I would guess that the snails or eggs came in on birds.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

How long does it take snail eggs to hatch? I had snails in the old fish tank but they died several months before I moved everything into tais 90gal. And nothing was outside...Could they have come from the pothos vine? I had one in the tank for awhile and tai kept dragging the vines into the water which is why I removed it.

15. Merlin

Did you move things directly from one wet tank to another?
    I am not sure on the hatching time on snails.
    Perhaps they can estivate and survive drying and then reestablish when wet? Just a thought.

16. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Snail darters, a small loach that should do fine in the tank, they LOVE snails :)

17. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Some snail eggs can survive drying out for a time. Not boiling though :p

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes I moved most of the decor directly from one tank to another as I didnt want the established algae and bacteria dying off.
    I had a few loaches in the 90 gal at one point but I havent seen them in several months. They just disappeared.

19. Merlin

Yep! That's where they came from.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ugh snail eggs must take many months to hatch then. Stupid things.