This Disappears When Logged In

Please read box turtle needs help badly!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by tdowd142, Oct 9, 2013.

1. tdowd142

tdowd142 Member

My dad found a easter box turtle today and brung it home bc it was acting strange. Well I took a look at it and noticed its eyes were not open. They are swollen shut and look to be filled with puss. He JUST scratched at his left eye as if it was irritating him and somethin white and clear ran out. I'm not aure if this is puss from the infection or if he may have punctured his eye. Please help me ifbyou know what may be wrong and how I can treat it. I am by all means no tuetle expert, I've never owned a box turtle or any kind for that matter. But I don't want to see this lil dude die. Pkease spread the word and lead experience box turtle owners to this thread or anyone with a lot of knowlege about any turtle. I'm posting from my phone so I can not upload a mm picture to here. Thank you so much!

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Do you have any vets around you that will see reptiles? That is your best option.

3. tdowd142

tdowd142 Member

I have one that is about 45 minutes away. But as I stated I can not afford a vet visit. That will be last resort. I just purchased zoo med repti turtle eye drops or somethin like that. And the pet store associate said they used it on multiple different cases and it has worked every time. I have my fingers crossed and really hope it works. I will try to update with photos each day showing progress.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Box Turtles get eye infections quite often. Especially if they are coming out of hibernation.
    Some causes of the infections are: vitamin A deficiency (the drops would solve this), injury to the eye, too dry of conditions, or dirty/bacteria infested environments.

5. mshrmheadcharge

Right now, its brumation time for eastern box turtles. Especially wild ones. I would keep his temps on the warmer side during the day ( around 80), to help boost his immune system and maybe trigger his appetite. You will need to keep the temps cooler at night though, around sixty. He will need deep substrate to bury himself for the winter. Try not to handle him too much, you don't want to stress him out. Enticing food items for him would be worms and slugs.

6. tdowd142

tdowd142 Member

I'm not sure how he is even eating without being able to see. But he got into a mess lol but ima get him some worms today then. You are talking of earthworms right?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes earthworms are good food. They can smell the bugs even if they cant see them. Or he will clear the gunk out of his eye long enough to eat.

8. mshrmheadcharge

I don't know what state you are in but it may be illegal to remove him from outside and keep him as a pet. You should do some research and act accordingly.
    His eyes will heal on their own, part of being a wild box turtle means enduring some some health issues. He can handle it. It is important to keep a careful eye on the temps and allow him to go into brumation. It may be too late to return him to the wild since you have had him for a couple of days.
    Since you'll probably be keeping him, save money over the winter while he brumates so you can take him and a fecal sample to the vet come spring time. He may have some parasites that you don't want hanging around.