This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Xluciferx, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Xluciferx

Xluciferx New Member

Hi guys:) so I just bought. Baby corn snake about 2 weeks ago. He's in a 10 gallon tank with aspen shavings, he has a heating pad under the tank and I use a black heat bulb and a blue incandescent bulb that I use. He's quiet small, a little bigger then an average pencil. Well I can't get him to eat/: he was supposed to eat last Monday and he hasn't! I've tried pinkies and crickets, even tried skull cutting to get him to lick it and taste it. But nothing! I tried cutting the pinkie in half and he bit it, but spit out. He struck at my boyfriends finger but won't eat. I keep his cage between 75 and 85 and keep the humidity good. He's not getting ready to shed cause his eyes aren't cloudy. Please help! I don't want to lose him/:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

First off, cornsnakes do not eat crickets!
    Are you saying it fluctuates? If so its not warm enough. What are you using to measure temperatures and where is it located?
    Corns should have a basking area of 87-90 degrees. The basking spot is the warmer end of the enclosure. The cooler end of the enclosure should not fall below 70 degrees and is best if it is maintained around 72-75 degrees.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

What do you consider good humidity and what are you measuring with?? If it is not a digital gauge with probe or infrared temp gun its not right.

Also, make sure you do not handle him at all for 5-7 days. Change water, spot clean cage, that's it. He needs to get acclimated to his enclosure without interference. After about 5 days try again.

4. Makawee

Makawee Member

I wouldn't worry to much, corn snakes can live a whole year with out eating, just make sure he's drinking, don't continue to force food on him, If he didn't eat this scheduled eating day, wait until the next one, Call a vet if he skips three, but he likely is stressed because of the new environment, does he have two hide-a-ways on each end of the tank? if not he might be to nervous to bask and so he might not have digested his last meal all the way. It could also be that what you're feeding him is too big? Also, light can be a factor, have you been giving him 12 hours of day light and 12 hours of night light?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are thinking of pythons. Corns have a higher metabolism and can't go that long.
    And this is a hatchling we are talking about.