This Disappears When Logged In

Please help with humidity...

Discussion in 'Childrens Pythons' started by smallgrayfox, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I'm having trouble keeping the humidity up in Ky-Lin's 10 gallon tank...I guess since she likes it warmer than it ever was when occupied by corns, the lamp is drying all the moisture up. What's the best way to raise humidity and keep it steady? I keep misting periodically, but it seems to drop back down to 20 pretty fast, even with a piece of foil over half of the screen top (does having so much of the top covered pose a danger with reduced airflow?)

I think I may get Ky-Lin a 20 long for Christmas since I expect it might be easier to maintain a good temp/humidity combination in a larger enclosure...What do you think? :confused:

PS - She hasn't gotten back into her water dish, and she was only in the water for about 5 minutes when she sat in it the other day, so I don't think it's bothering her, but I don't want her to end up with a difficult shed when it's time for her first one with us...

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually the larger enclosure is even harder to keep humid. Takes more moisture. What I do to raise the humidity of my ball python tank is to lay a sopping wet towel over about half of the top of the screen. The water evaporating from the towel raises the humidity in the tank.
    Air exchange is very important particularly in a humid enclosure. If there is not access to fresh air you will end up with a lot of fungus and bacterial growth.

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

You could also think about investing in a misting system, which automatically mists at certain times of the day., or a water fall which will help raise humidity. Cheaper options include a second water bowl placed on the warm end of the tank, and you could also provide a moist hide.

4. smallgrayfox

Trying to find info on the net about care for Children's Pythons is confusing. I've found very little and what's there is full of conflicting things....from the only humidity they need is to "put in a water bowl" to their care is "just like corns" to they live in "arid environments" to they require "moderate humidity" to they require "higher humidity" to required temps "ranging from 70 to 85" to required temps "ranging from 80 to 95" ...etc.

How do you know what's right? :confused:

Merlin, I put a wet towel over about half of the top and it's helped some. Do you keep a wet towel on all of the time? Or just some of the time?
    Bitis, I'll probably also add a small water bowl to the warm end and see what that does...

Thank you for all the suggestions.

5. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

You could make Ky-Lin a humid hide with a tupperware dish and some moss. Most of my animals HATE them but they are abnormal ;) everybody else has good luck with humid hides :)

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Juliane, I also tried searching for info on the net, but there is quite a lack. The best thing to do is go with the majority and then experiment through personal experience. I'll try and find more info for you and see what seems to be the majority care advice.

A good indicator, as I think you mentioned, is soaking - if a snake soaks in its water bowl a lot it can be indicative of; too low humidity, too high temps, or mites/parasites. If it doesn't soak this can often be a good sign that all is well. :)

7. Merlin

I place it on there when the snake's are in shed cycle. Since there are 2 in there that means that it is on pretty frequently. They are so inconsiderate that they won't shed at the same time! ;)

8. smallgrayfox

Merlin, does that mean it's ok for the air to be very dry most of the time as long as you make sure it's more humid around a shed? Without the wet towel, the humidity wants to stay around 20, which is pretty darn dry, so I'm afraid that's just too low for most of the time. With the wet towel, it's about 35.

Same thing is happening in Spectre's 30 long. He shed ok last time, but it sounded pretty dry when it was coming off (crinkle rattle rustle :eek: ), so I want it moister in there the next time!

During hot weather, I guess the house humidity is higher than it is now, even though we only have the heater at 65. The snake's lamps have to be set higher now that the house is cold (*lots of grumbling aimed at my husband, who insists on 65 degrees instead of 70*), which I'm sure is why the humidity has dropped so much. *sigh*

Bitis, thank you so much for looking for more information on Children's Pythons. I've searched every which way I can think of, but haven't had much luck. I'll appreciate anything at all you might be able to find. :)

9. Merlin

Are you sure your hygrometer is accurate? I would think that being in Florida your humidity would be pretty high. The humidity in my apt with central heat and air never drops below 45-50. 20% would not be healthy even for humans! You might try getting a humidifier for the room.

10. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

I think the humidity on the whole east coast drops in the winter 'cause my apt. (which I keep around 72 degrees) is 30-40% which gives me nose bleeds if I don't run the humidifier. Julianne you can get a nice cheap, energy efficient humidifier at Walmart. I only have to refill mine twice a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.