This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help Me! Snake Caught in Duct Tape

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by MrPicklez, May 23, 2014.

1. MrPicklez

MrPicklez New Member

Hello!

First of all let me say this, I know i should never keep tape in any enclosure, Ive kept bloods and chondros for years and since im not a child anymore, i should know these things, however, my 6 month old carpet got stuck in duct tape in the middle of the night, i had taped down the cord to the prope of his thermostat and right before i fell asleep i heard strange noises coming from the enclosure so i woke up and check on him to find him completely wrapped up in duct tape, it was only a small piece but it got wrapped around his head and his coiling made it even worse, the good news is, due to some quick maneuvering i got a bottle of olive oil and some warm water, i grabbed him and cut the tape in half carefully with scissors so he could move then placed him in a Styrofoam cooler i keep handy with a tiny bit of warm water, i managed to get all the pieces off of his body and with the use of some olive oil i was able to remove it from his head and eye with no visible damage at the moment, here is what im afraid of, the whole process freaked him out, ive only had him for a week so far and this happened tonight, like i said i got him free, he might be a little oily but the tape is gone and his mobility seems fine except for that the stress aggravated his wobble again (jaguar) what worries me is if this will have a long lasting negative imprint on him towards me, this was the first time i had handled him and i worry about the future and him holding this against me, the whole reason for me to have gotten a carpet was so i could have a big friendly guy (after taming of course) to socialize with people and with myself, i love my bloods and chondros to death but they arent always the friendliest lot in fact im the only person my bloods let touch them, anyone else gets strikes and im not a huge fan of balls so i went with the carpet, i absolutely adore the little guy but knowing a few other species of snakes, im worried about this event negatively impacting his temperament, does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next move should be, obviously after letting him be for a while to get over it, i also worry about the stress, i feel like he finally came out to explore his viv and then bam stuck in tape, the whole process lasted about an hour and i was freaking out, i just want to be sure the little guy will be ok and will get over this ordeal

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Only time will tell but I'm sure you will have to move in slowly. There is a video here on taming that you may want to look at and see if this is something you will want to try.

3. MrPicklez

MrPicklez New Member

do you have a link? i tried to find it with no luck, waiting until tomorrow to check him out to make sure he dosent have any missing scales or anything, im still extremely worried

4. MrPicklez

MrPicklez New Member

upon further inspection of the removed tape there are a few scales stuck to it :( what should i do to help treat him for missing scales?

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

If your lucky it's just the next shed that got lifted. Inspect the damage under glass to see how deep the pulls where. If you see any damage I'd look into a Vet visit.

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

http://www.herpcenter.com/lizard-videos/38864-small-lizard-trust-building.html

This link is for small lizards but the same idea works with snakes to some degree. Keep calm, Move slow and smoothly and let the snake get used to you in a non threatening way. Than start touching lightly and keep moving on in small steps. Should get you on better terms, and yes you may bet bit if the snake freaks out...

7. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I had a similar experience with one of my balls. Snuck under a cage while I had her out and lost focus and she got her head stuck on a glue board. Took a fair number of scales off with it. As far as all that goes, I would put your snake on paper towel or newspaper substrate for the time being to keep any wounds clean and clear of debris. Id also try and get a good look at his/her head and see how bad the damage is. If its just a few messed up scales you'll be fine after a shed or two.

As far as giving your snake a bad impression, thats a little tough to judge. Id bet a long as he heal up well, thrives in your care, and is regularly calmly, confidantly handled he will be fine. You never know tho. Carpets can be a little flightly and defensive sometimes. The vast majority do tame down well but some stay keyed up.

I love carpet pythons like crazy. They're great animals to keep!

8. MrPicklez

MrPicklez New Member

I just got home from work and checked him out, i don't see anything noticeable, aside from a very ****ed off little snake. I havent been able to get a good look at him but I will be keeping a close eye on him between now and my vet appointment tomorrow night. hopefully i can cancel that as i worry the transportation and being messed with again will just make things worse but if i notice any damage ill have to take him, id rather be safe than sorry and at least i got an appointment before sunday in case its needed. and as a side note, i have 2 bloods and a chondro, if i was afraid of being bitten then id just be stupid :p

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

LOL worked with bloods before, lol finicky people skills at best :)