This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help Me Id This Snake.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by SI-NYC, Feb 6, 2016.

1. SI-NYC

SI-NYC New Member

Hi all. I live in Staten Island, New York. Tonight my wife called me while I was at work. She was very upset because a snake had found its way into our downstairs bathroom. I told her to calm down, take a picture to send me and close the bathroom door. She sends me the pic. It's obviously a baby. Tiny little guy. I find it odd because it's February and 30 degrees out. I have a detached home. No tenants. And neighbors are at least 40 feet away in either direction. So in all likelihood it's a indigenous native snake (but you never know). Since he's so small I initially guess it's a Garter snake. They are very common here. Though not so much in February. I figure tossing the little guy outside in 30 degree weather with snow on the ground is pretty much a death sentence. So on the way home I stop at the pet store. I buy bedding, a screen top, a hiding log and a water dish for a 10 gallon tank I have laying around. So I get home. Open the bathroom door and there he is in the corner. Tiny little guy, but slightly aggressive. I have a saltwater fishtank. So I have a long pole with tongs at the end, used for moving hard to reach corals. I grab the pole, use it to gently pick up the little snake and place him in a clean 5 gallon compound bucket. He probably strikes the pole twice on the short trip into the bucket. Ok, so now I prepare his tank while he's in the covered bucket. After the tank is cleaned and ready, it's time to drop him in. I'm not very timid. I'm careful though, and I know that I'm not an expert on snakes. But at this point, I'm still thinking Garter snake. So I say to my wife "should I just pick him up with my hand and put him in the tank?". She tells me I'm nuts, but this is old news. I slowly move for the snake. He coils, shakes his tail and looks ready to strike. So nope, not gonna try to pick this little guy up. As said before I'm not timid, but I'm careful. So I just gently tip the bucket and let him slide into the tank. OK so now he's in the tank. Even though I should keep it dark so he can acclimate I put the light on over the tank so I can get a good look at him. He's not particularly shy. Just lays by a piece of hiding log that I got at the pet store. But now that I get a good look at him he really doesn't look at all like a Garter snake. I have been looking at photos on the internet of snakes native to New York. I'm in Staten Island, very rural part also. The best I can come up with is a juvenile Black Racer (Coluber Constrictor). But I'm no expert and have very little experience with snakes. Hopefully you guys can give me some insight and advice. And help me properly ID this little guy. He's about 5 to 6 inches in length right now. He looks much bigger in these photos than he actually is. They are zoomed in. Also some insight on how he got in the house and what was he doing there in February would also be greatly appreciated.

20160205_190938.jpg 20160205_191624.jpg 20160205_211249.jpg 20160205_211229.jpg 20160205_211049.jpg
    20160205_211256.jpg

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks more like a juvenile Black Rat snake.

3. SI-NYC

SI-NYC New Member

I was looking at the black rat snake as a possibility as well. I want to narrow down the possibilities so I can give him the proper food. I've been doing as much diligence as I can. The snake will be released when the weather warms up. In the meantime I appreciate any information given to me. This is the fact sheet that led me to believe it's a black racer.

Screenshot_2016-02-06-11-35-39.png

Here are new photos taken today. He still rattles his tail and lunges.

20160206_111400.jpg

20160206_114356.jpg

4. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I live about an hour, hand and a half away and the only native snakes i've heard of/seen, in my area at least, are garters. It doesn't look like a garter though. It does look like a Black Racer and might possibly be as they are native to the North. I'm not too sure about a black rat snake being as they are from down south, but if it was someones pet and somehow escaped or he could've been dumped and miraculously made it to your house then I guess its a possibility. I think it would be easier to tell the species once its older.

SI-NYC likes this.
  5. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I agree on the juvie black racer, black rat snakes have a different pattern, and body shape isn't rounded. Rat snakes are shaped like a loaf of bread. No clue how/why the wee one found its way into your house now though. May have been lurking nearby and came in for warmth, one that small can squeeze through some tight spaces. They do have quite an attitude, but the teeth are much too small to break your skin, main danger is hurting yourself (banging elbow, lol) jerking back from a strike.

SI-NYC likes this.
  6. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

If you are just housing it for the winter you can probably treat it like a corn snake as they are all from a similar habitat and corn snakes are basically colorful ratsnakes anyway ;)