This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help Me Get My Dubia Colony Running Under WEIRD Conditions.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SpidaFly, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Ah, Phoenix weather! Gotta love it. :) The garage will more than likely cook the roaches in summer, learned that the hard way. :( You might be ok if you can monitor the temps & ventilate the garage in the afternoon.

I've had the most luck with hissing roaches, our dubia were a little slow but are doing better. Haven't provided supplemental heat but we keep them in our guest bathroom over the winter so it doesn't get too cold, but not optimal. A smaller container makes a smaller colony feel more comfortable, they like the constant vibrations and heat from others. You might also consider toilet paper/paper towel tubes. They love to pack into those. The egg crate is good to provide vertical space for larger colonies. You might want to put in some styrofoam or something bulky to take up space so that they're more crammed in.

Make sure you're leaving frass (roach poo) on the bottom even if you aren't using a substrate. Also, if you aren't feeding any kind of protein/grain yet and just greens, veggies, & fruits they may not breed well and could turn to cannibalism.

Good luck! :)

2. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Alright, yeah. I'm offering some dog food (had some laying around from a dog sitting a while back) for now since I won't be feeding them off to my reptiles. I'll get some of that rat block later too.

Even with my eco earth moisture dispenser and a much smaller vent hole (2"x8") I'm only coming up with 42% humidity.

While I've seen some roaches eating here and there, I never see them on the water gel. Perhaps my water gel "bowl" isn't any good for roaches. I'm finding dead roaches, too. Couple dead nymphs, one dead medium-largish one.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

How deep is the bowl with the water gel? I use a plastic coffee lid and I make sure that my water gel is watered down quite a bit. If your bowl is too slippery and too high they all may not be able to climb it.

4. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Not sure if they would be able to climb that! Try the lid of a margarine tub or a plastic coffee lid.
    This is what I use for their water in mine and its shallow enough for even the smallest nymphs to climb into.
    P4020001.jpg

6. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Ok, will do. Thanks.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have that same bowl. The surface is rough enough for them to climb it.

8. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

To test, I've put a few water gels out of the bowl by their slice of squash, carrot, mustard green, and dog food (remember, the dog food is just temporary until I find a good rat diet with low protein and fat).