This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help Identify!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Jacesmom23, May 2, 2014.

1. Jacesmom23

Jacesmom23 Member

10288726_10203995634837736_341529143455513638_n.jpg

Please help identify this little guy so I know how to care for him! I have 4 yellow bellies and all of my friends consider me the 'turtle whisperer'! Anyway, when my classmate found this little guy in her driveway she immediately brought him to me. He is TINY and I have no idea if he should be in water (his feet look webbed like my little guys, so I'm thinking he does), what he eats, does he need heat/UVB lamps, etc. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Please post pics of the top.

3. Jacesmom23

Jacesmom23 Member

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What area are you located in?

5. Jacesmom23

Jacesmom23 Member

North Carolina-about 30 minutes from the ocean.

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Could be a Pseudemys rubriventris

With out knowing for sure I would release it back where you got it (or in that general location). The turtle knows what it needs.

7. Jacesmom23

Jacesmom23 Member

Thanks for your help. I also researched a Pseudemys rubriventris but this turtle's only similarity is the orange belly. I don't mind releasing it but I'm about 99% he won't survive. He's injured on his back leg and he's very lethargic. Maybe he's just scared but I think it's more. I have placed him under a heat lamp and UVB lamp and attempted to feed him but I will release him tomorrow, if you think it's best.

8. Jacesmom23

Jacesmom23 Member

I've researched this for 2 days and I'm pretty sure he is an Eastern Mud turtle!

9. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

That's an eastern mud for sure. Although he is really tiny so make sure you feed him carefully and watch that he doesn't choke. He's adorable though:) Good luck with him:)

-Ava

10. Suz530

Suz530 New Member

I also live in NC (Camp Lejeune). My neighbor brought me a turtle he found at work. I've been looking for days trying to figure out what kind mine was. Saw this post and guess we found the same kind of turtle. Mine seems to be in good shape. I have woods, streams and lots of brackish water behind my house so thinking I'm gonna let him go there.

Does that sound like a good place? I know nothing about turtles except from what I looked up. He is in a big tub with lots of soil, moss and a water bowl. He loves to dig VERY deep and also loves the water. Appetite seems to be lacking although he did eat a cricket. Any help would be appreciated!! Thx!! IMG_1121.jpg IMG_1123.jpg

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Both turtles look like mud or musk turtles - both of which are aquatic, and very hardy turtles that will live in almost any kind of water conditions.

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

In my opinion,.it's best to release them as they are wild and wild caught animals are usually infested with parasites and if left in captivity will only suffer as the infestations will worsen if not treated by a vet and then if you go to release them they will have trouble adapting to the wild because in captivity they had no need to hunt or find food and haven't encountered predators.... and even if injured I would still release it as its part of nature (not to sound mean) but it's survival of the fittest.... but if your not planning on keeping after rehabilitating it.... it's best to let it fend for itself......

13. Suz530

Suz530 New Member

I definitely want it to be in the wild. Just needed to make sure of what type it was. My daughter and I have a great area we found to release it. Thanks!!