This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help. Escaped Boa, Concern for New Cat...

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by tabbyv, Mar 18, 2012.

1. tabbyv

tabbyv Member

Hi,

Firstly can I apologise if I appear unknowledgable about this subject or say anything really stupid but this is about my boyfriends escaped pet and I am filling you in as much as I can.

Approx 9 weeks ago his female Colombian Boa (5ft I guess) escaped in the house. She had fed 2 weeks before but had had a period of 8 weeks while she only ate once. So I am sure she is hungry right? We are in the UK so it's not really warm.

I am concerned she is hurting also my cat arrives to stay with us on Tuesday and I can't sleep for worry....

Please help.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the snake escaping! What have you done so far to lure him out?

Look in places that are small and tight, warm places like around electronics and appliances, boots, shoes, high up in closets, shelves, under sink.

You can place a bowl of water out and a hide with a human heating pad set on low, some people place flour on the floor around baseboards and corners this will show if he is moving around. Do you have any holes in the walls that he may have gotten into?

3. tabbyv

tabbyv Member

Thank you for reply. I have looked everywhere I can actually look. I have a feeling that she is in around the chimney.

I have tried luring her out with food to no success. There was some disturbance 2 weeks ago near to chimney area.

Are my concerns for cat very real? I know so little about these reptiles...

4. mld

Cat's are hunters! So there is always a concern, you can keep her contained while you are out, but hopefully you will find the snake before then. I would definitely try to lure her out with some heat and maybe a F/T feeder overnight. Best of luck

5. tabbyv

tabbyv Member

Thanks again....just doing that right now.

PS. She wont harm the cat either? I mean obviously I'll keep the cat away from the area I suspect she is in but...It's 2 am here and I'm fretting.

6. mld

She is probably pretty cold unless she has found a heat source. Not sure depending on the size of the boa and the size of the feeder, but cats are great at getting away. Hopefully the cat will help you find it. I'm sure that someone with boa experience will be by to help you out more with this.

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

a 5' boa is not likely to search out a full grown cat, but they could both damage eachother if a confrontation is forced... cats seem to like to confront and push issues... normally a snake would avoid a full grown cat that it knows it cannot eat so I wouldn't worry about that under normal conditions. 9 weeks in the cold conditions you mentioned will not leave her overly hungry so she will not be looking for food, mostly....

If you can get a warm hide set up up near where you think she may be hiding, really near, like up against if you can. If your up to it a pre killed food item in the hide would be another layer in the attraction to the hide but again she may not have food on the mind.

Good luck on the hunt, we are all hopeing for a good outcome.

8. tabbyv

tabbyv Member

I hope so...any help gratefully received.

She is approx 5ft and non - aggressive (normally).

Thanks again.

9. tabbyv

tabbyv Member

DwarvenChief - I am trying to set that up now. I have made a cosy hide where I think she is near to and put a thawed rat on a heat pad in it. I guess I should go to bed and hope the quiet/heat/rat lures her out.

Thank you so much for your reassuring words. I am worried. I am pretty sure I can keep cat and snake in their separate "areas" however....if the snake (Cleo) is where I think she is.

I'll let you know! Maybe I'll be able to sleep now. Thanks!

10. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Also put out a water dish near the hide that you set up. Sometimes they will come out looking for water.
    Keep us posted.

11. BlameEllipsis

BlameEllipsis New Member

While my snake was being snake-sat by a friend she escaped. There were 3 cats running loose in the house all adults. My snake is about 5' and made it half way down the stairs when she was met by one of the cats. The cats were curious but cautious and the snake was afraid. The snake hissed and lunged towards the cat as a defensive technique to keep the cat away. No one was harmed and the standoff was broken up pretty quick.