This Disappears When Logged In

Please Forgive My Excitement...

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by LunaticFringeInc, Jun 9, 2013.

1. LunaticFringeInc

LunaticFringeInc Active Member

Please forgive my excitement but today was the first time feeding my new snake since I got back into Herping again.

Since the perimeters in the cage with Temp and Humidity have been solved and reach a point of being consistent I attempted to feed my neonate this afternoon and it all went well. At least now I know I have a snake thats not a picky eater and a BRB that refuses to eat unless its dark. That should make feeding a lot easier in the future.

I was a bit worried as I know they can sometimes be tempermental about eating and of course the Pet Store always says "Oh yeah its a eater, it ate just a couple of days ago as a matter of fact". I have seen that movie a few times lol.

Just going to try a prey item a little bit bigger than a pinky mouse...it hardly left any sign of a lump at all! I guess my "calibrated eye" was a little off on estimating the size of prey needed. Should I try a Fuzzy or Hopper Mouse next time or possibly a Pinky Rat?

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Couldn't say for sure without seeing, but sounds like maybe just a fuzzy. if it's still too small then go to a bigger mouse. Pinky rats are still bigger then a mouse fuzzy I think. have any pix?

3. LunaticFringeInc

LunaticFringeInc Active Member

I was thinking just a fuzzy too, but I have been off the mark once already. I guess that if everything I did went as planned I would feel cheated anyways lol. No I unfortunately dont have a pic of the little guy yet but thats on my list of things to do. I bought it on a road trip last Weds and took 30 hours of driving to get back home and a couple of days to get the enclosure up to speed for a healthy start. Its a neonate about the thickness of one of those fat pencils like you had in first grade if your as old as I am, lol. Probably about the diameter of a AA battery at the thickest point as a reference point if your not as old as I am. If I hadnt seen it physically eating the pinky mouse I wouldnt have been able to tell it ate at all by just visually looking at the snake. Been a while since I have had snakes this small so I am having to learn this aspect of it all over again.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Fortunately I have a 3.5 year old kid so I know the pencils! LOL! I would almost say try a small hopper then. remember it's the thickness not the lenght. rodents look bigger when sitting the once they're actually stretched out, which is how they sit in their stomachs. Good luck!

5. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Even a fresh out of the sack hatchling BRB can take a Hopper mouse. Yeah, it's a big meal at that size. Typically born in the 30 - 36 gram range. Yours is likely a bit older/larger than that so should easily be able to take a hopper mouse. If concerned, go with a smaller hopper to start.