This Disappears When Logged In

Pleasantly Surprised by Turtle Food

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dragoness, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I normally rely very little on aquatic turtle food for my map turtle. The ingredients in most are abysmally lacking in nutrients, even important ones. Most are made with a LOT of fillers, with very little fish meal or anything of value in them.

I went into my local Petco for crickets, and remembered I had been out of turtle pellet for 2 months now (which is fine, because he gets a very wide variety of earthworms, live insects, frozen fish/shrimp/krill, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc.) The reason I have not bought more in 2 months is because every label I checked revealed a can full of nutritionally worthless junk, mostly fillers, preservatives, and food dye. Anyways, I picked up Petco's store brand of turtle pellet, which was free of the food dyes and preservatives, but also included vitamin and mineral supplements, and had fewer fillers in it than other brands.

IF the label is to be believed, this may actually be a decent brand. It expires in July 2011, I know I will not have used it all by then, as rarely as I feed it. Maybe I can also feed it to my bugs.

I was not expecting this, but it's sure nice to see it.

2. Medium

Medium Elite Member

It is difficult finding a good food for any animal. Hope your Turtle likes what you did find :)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great find, I also feed my crickets the bearded dragon pellets since I wouldn't feed it to my bearded dragon. The cricket love it, they will fight over the little pellets, trying to steal it from each other. Yes fighting crickets, funny to watch.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My roaches love fish flake food, and I feel about the same about feeding fish flake to my fish as I feel about feeding any packaged food to any of my other animals.

My roaches will emerge like bats from a cave to converge upon fish flakes.

My turtle is not picky, as long as his food doesn't swim away from him. In the 15 years I have owned him, he has yet to eat a tank-mate, including the feeder goldfish I bought for him 2 years ago, and is still in there. He will eat F/T feeder fish (silversides) if I offer them, but is generally too lazy to chase anything. If his pellets get caught in a strong current, he will not eat them either. Which is why he lives with some other fish (Mostly catfish and bottom feeders).