This Disappears When Logged In

Play Sand?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by tiffers, May 27, 2012.

1. tiffers

tiffers Elite Member

so i have been told that washed play sand would be great for my uro but no one here carries sillica free play sand its all the quickcrete play sand (not putting it in the tank if it is made by the same company that makes concrete) i found a couple of places but then again it all contains silica in some form just not "free silica" which is supossedly the bad. i have also heard crushed marble has any one tried this? it seems safer chemically wise but is it sharp?

2. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Don't use play sand. It's dangerous. It can easily be ingested and cause serious problems.

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Play sand is actually the perfect substrate for a uromastyx. Have you tried Home Depot? What about Toys R Us?

4. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

My dragon ingested sand and had to be taken to the vet. Perhaps it's different. I still wouldn't risk it.

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

What kind of dragon and how long was it? Play sand itself doesn't cause impaction. Dehydration or other illness does.

6. tiffers

tiffers Elite Member

Hadn't thought of toys r us there isnt one close by but I bet I can order off line just got to look at the msds to make sure it's safe.. I was also looking at a website the sand is silica free but really fine grain does that make a difference?

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Silica is essentially quartz and the dust can cause lung damage even in humans.
    Quickrete has this warning on the MSDS for the playsand. Yet they sell it as a product for children. Yowsers!!!
    Silica Free Play Sand

8. tiffers

tiffers Elite Member