This Disappears When Logged In

Plastic Cages-- Opinions?

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by giveuptheghost, Dec 9, 2011.

1. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

The Vision Cages are pricy, but they are supposed to last. I wanted to know if anyone had opinions on the Showcase Cages at this site: Showcase Cages - Reptile Cages - Reptile Cage - Cage Locks - Snake cages - Iguana Cages - Bearded Dragon Cage - Plastic Cage - Reptile Supplies - Reptile Accessories - Reptiles - Snake Cage - Animal Cages - cage - cages - Plastic cages

Also does anyone know of any effective dividers that work well in Vision Cages? I was thinking of making only half of the cage accessible while he's little and then removing it when he's big enough to make use of the space. (This is me planning for a BRB, for the record).

Any other plastic cages that get good recommendations from folks here?

2. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I've heard these ones are very good, and they were showcased in Reptiles Magazine a year or so ago. Thy are pretty expensive; in fact, most cages are these days. That's why I'm starting to build my own = )

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I LOVE my vision cages! I have 2 of the 2 foot long ones (not used at the moment) and a 6 foot long for my boa...easy to clean,no worries about making sure they are sealed properly or off gassing that can occur with some building materials....my boa is a well known poop painter and having a plastic style cage makes cleaning easy

5. giveuptheghost

Are you talking about the Vision Cages or the Showcase Chages?

Vision- 36" x 28" x 18" for $259.00 (and free shipping)
    Showcase- 36" x 24" x 24" for $329 (currently on sale for $299 and $79 shipping)
    Boaphile- 36" x 24" x 17.5" for $229 (and free shipping)
    Neodesha- 36" x 19" x 12.5" for $189.95 (and $32.50 shipping)

Now Neodesha is the cheapest, and this is for their stackable cage because I don't like the ones that slant back. Does anyone here have anything to say about Neodesha cages in particular? The one clear downside to me here is that they are only a foot tall.

The Boaphile cages are second cheapest, but there seems to be a bit of negativity on the web surrounding them and fire risks. I don't know if that's the result of a former problem that's since been fixed or if it's just a few very vocal people who happened to have bad experiences through no fault of the cage, but have since blamed it on the cage, or if they are really notoriously problematic. Also, I'm not entirely clear on how they are meant to be lighted and heated since there is no external space for a lamp of any sort. Are they only set up to be used with heat mats or tape? Or is there a way to set up a bulb, just on the inside? 'Cause I'd much rather have the bulb on the outside. The Boaphile cages also seem to have inserts available so I could adjust the size of the cage as my snake grows.

The Showcase Cages are the most expensive of the lot and the only reason I was looking at them initially was because I hadn't discovered Neodesha or Boaphile yet and I liked that they came in a wider color variety than the Vision Cages, which only come in that light gray color. However, color isn't really a big enough factor to make me pay an extra $100+.

So...I'm still muddling through the pros and cons and trying to figure out which cage to go with.

6. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

7. giveuptheghost

Ok, so adding those to the list...

I know a lot of the people here seem to build their own enclosures, but surely someone has tried some of these out, yes? I was hoping for a few personal testimonials for the brands other than Vision.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its probably because for the price of one cage, you can build 2 or 3!
    I have no personal experince with any of them, but Neodesha was the standard bearer for a long time. However they went under and then recently they started back up again but I don't know if its the same folks since Neodesha is just the town they are located in.

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I own 3 of thier cages. I have 2, 48"L x 18"H x 24"D and 1, 24"L x 18"H x 16"D. I completely intend on buying a few more when money permits. I have my baby sunglow in one right now but I was thinking of picking up the 60"L x 24"H x 24"D for when he gets bigger. These tanks are great.

10. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

I have 3 Vision 36x28x18 and I don't like them for high humidity snakes. I am currently keeping GTPs in them and have all the vents covered and still have to mist daily. If they are not stacked on a shelf or something solid and have any weight in them they will sag.

I also have 4 of the older Neodeshas (32x28x18 I think) and like them much more than my Visions. The only negative I have with them is when using light fixtures/bulbs they can't be stacked.