This Disappears When Logged In

Plants That Can Stand Up to a Cuban Knight Anole?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by TigerCowrie, Aug 22, 2012.

1. TigerCowrie

TigerCowrie Member

Okay. Out of curiosity, why not Thomson's? Do they use some sort of toxic ingredient in their products?

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm not sure, I've just heard that they're toxic to reptiles. They're fine other wise. :) Everyone uses Minwax, and also Dutch Boy (latex based).

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thompsons is an oil based product that is labeled for exterior use. That in itself should give you a heads up.
    I once used it on a wooden bonsai display on my patio and weeks later it still smelled of chemicals and was oily to the touch.

4. TigerCowrie

TigerCowrie Member

About the plywood. My dad might have some sheets in the garage that would be large enough to use, but I'm concerned about whether that would be a good idea as the garage is frequently infested with insects and rodents. Should I play it safe and just get some from the store, or would the sealing take care of any possible issues?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Several coats of polycrylic should take care of it. However if the garage has been sprayed with pesticides I would not chance it.

6. TigerCowrie

TigerCowrie Member

I don't think it's ever been sprayed, but various pesticides are kept in garage. In any case, a casual glance at what he has in there makes me think there aren't any pieces big enough to use for this, so it doesn't matter.