This Disappears When Logged In

Plants In A Snake Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Floyd0117, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Floyd0117

Floyd0117 New Member

I bought some succulents at home depot and I want to put them in my Rosy Boas tank, I'm just going to leave them in the pot and bury it in the aspen.

But I'm worried about bugs. How can I sanitize the plants? So far I've deported them, shook all soil off, microwaved all soil, and washed plants with soap and water and a toothbrush. Then rinsed well. Is this safe?

2. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

I have never had issues with insects using live plants, but I have found that they often do not survive under heatlamps, even succulents. I am not sure what you would need to do to completely disinfect them. I disinfect plastic plants with a bleach/water formula and scrub them with a toothbrush, then rinse them several times before allowing them to air dry.

3. Floyd0117

Floyd0117 New Member

Hmmm. At what temperature?

4. Garters45

The temp they die at? About 95 degrees Fahrenheit. I even tried with succulents, no luck.

5. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Plastic or silk plants are the best bet for a rosy boa. Live plants either won't get enough light or will be damaged by the snake moving around the tank. The snake won't care either way, live or artificial.
    Regarding bugs, some people prefer to use bioactive setups, where springtails, sow bugs, and wood lice will actually clean up the poop and urates produced by the reptile/s. Not sure if those are suitable for a roay boa though, they're usually set up for animals that need higher humidity.

Garters45 likes this.
  6. Garters45

Be careful with plastic plants though, sometimes small snakes and other reptiles can become caught or trapped in the plants, so silks are safer. I thought the OP was regarding how to eliminate insects, but a bioactive setup would be very interesting. Rosies are not very messy snakes though, and their cages are easy to clean. Definitely a cool project, especially using springtails! I would just be worried they'd escape the terrarium and get into the house/yard.

7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

The springtails won't really survive without a food supply. I don't think they'd even be eager to leave a vivarium. There's more likely than not springtails of some species in your house already in plants or outside. They're a really common organism.

8. Garters45

That's probably true. The woodlice would be particularly interesting to experiment with, but wouldn't they be eaten by the smaller species like garters? I know my albino baby garter wouldn't hesitate to snarf one down.