This Disappears When Logged In

Plants for Frog Vivarium?

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by Brewster320, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

My brother and I have recently gotten what we believe to be a pair of Green Frogs, Rana clamitans, and we decided to make a vivarium for them and it was looking good. We didn't plant much besides a fern, moss, and some plants that were already in the moss for now. We decided to add the frogs earlier today and sure enough the frogs decided the fern would look a lot better flat :mad: haha. So we had to take it out but I'd like to know what plants would go good in a swampy/pond habitat but would also be sturdy and strong enough to with stand their jumping. Thanks

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Pothos.

Plant in the pot, upper right hand corner
    [​IMG]

3. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Thanks I'll go down to my local nursery to find some photos, also do you think bamboo would work?

4. schlegelbagel

If you mean "Lucky" bamboo, yup, that works good. Dried regular bamboo makes great cross branches.

5. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Ok thank you, I'll go looking for some with in the next few days, for the time being the frogs will have to deal with a pretty plain home haha. I'll post some pictures soon.

6. schlegelbagel

Pothos are really easy to find. Even your grocery store should have some. Be sure to rinse out the roots and leaves very well, getting rid of as many of the little styrofoam balls as you can, and pot in organic soil.

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Heres a good list of plants; Ficus pulmila (or other climbing figs), Broms, small orchids (mounted on moss is best), hoyas (wax plants), ant plants, Nest ferns (strong flat leaved ferns), Nephetes (pitcher plants) if more tropical, sun pitchers, Blaterwarts (small leaved plants with underground traps for catching small insects, makes a great floor cover and has very nice flowers, spreads quickly and deals well in standing water).... I could go on and on but I thought I'd just list some that I've used in the past.

8. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

My brother was out with my mom an he got some bamboo and an african violet, I don't know how the violet is going to stand up against the frogs but the bamboo looks good and seems to be doing good. Although my brother got a little to much bamboo so we ended up taking the extra bamboo and sticking it in the corn snakes tank. haha Hhopefully she doesn't destroy it as she grows. I think the vivarium could use 2 more plants however, probably a pothos and a bromeliad, but it's good for now. Here's a picture of one of the frogs in a corner of the tank, I'll get one of the whole tank soon.
    [​IMG]

9. schlegelbagel

Cute bullfrog. :)

10. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Actually when my brother and I first got them we thought they were baby bullfrogs. Until two days ago we thought they were, but I was looking something up online and they are in fact green frogs. They get a lot smaller than bulls, they have some slight different physical characteristics, and they don't scream when they're bothered. I'm actually kinda happy they aren't bulls because they aren't going to out grow their vivarium. But they have the same feeding response and eat what ever is thrown in the tank; crickets, mealworms, nightcrawlers, minnows, ect haha.

11. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Ok now I have some pictures, and I also did a little reseach and found out that we actually have 2 females and not a pair to my mothers releif haha. But here are the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. schlegelbagel

I used "bullfrog" in the loosest of terms :p

That's a great set up. They should be happy. What type of filtration do you have in there? It looks nice and clean. :)

13. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Thanks, I don't have any filtration because I was reading before my brother and I started this and it said that filtration can be a sensory overload for amphibians sensitive skin so we are just going to do frequent water changes and I guess the duck weed and the bamboo helps with a nitrate levels.

14. schlegelbagel

15. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Thanks for the caresheet, I actually was looking for something like that. Surprising there's not a lot of information on their care or other semi-aquatic north American frogs, at least I couldn't find anything.

Well I guess I could have used a filter but it doesn't matter I guess, the water stays surprisingly clear. So I guess weekly water changes would probably work.

Also I have a spare ten gallon tank and I was thinking of making one more vivarium but I probably won't finish it for awhile because of school starting up and stuff. But I was wondering what could Live happily in a 10 gallon vivarium? I was thinking maybe a green tree frog, a grey tree frog, spring peeper, or some type of toad. Anyways I'd just like to know before I get started because I'd need to set up the vivarium for that species. thanks.

16. schlegelbagel

Green Tree frogs do OK in a 10 gallon. So do african reed frogs or a pacman frog.

17. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Thanks, I'll probably go with the green tree frog because a pacman would probably destroy the vivarium by digging everything up and I don't see reed frogs at all in any of the herp places around here, although I'll try looking.

18. schlegelbagel

Once in a blue moon you will come across reed frogs in stores. Mostly they are at expos or found online and have to get shipped.

19. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Ya in that case I'll get the green becuase my mom doesn't trust me at expos because she knows I'll come home with more than I went there for haha. Thanks for your help.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Clarity of water doesn't meant that the water quality is good.
    The main water quality problems, ammonia and nitrites, are not visible and could only be determined by testing the water. You can get test kits at any aquarium store. Petsmart and Petco will also test your sample for you for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.