This Disappears When Logged In

Planting Live Plants in Vivarium

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by AMule123, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMule123

AMule123 New Member

Hey all,

I am looking to construct an enclosure for an upcoming python. I have always wanted to make an environment inside the viv, like live plants and water and what-not. i was recently in my local pet store and enquiring about live plants growing in my enclosure, the guy at the petshop said he doesnt recommend it as the plants need for water to drain somewhere. I have seen many posts and people commenting on the net about having live plants in their enclosures and i was just wondering what the best way to go about it is.
    Also any advise would be appreciated. :)

Sam

2. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

From what I understand you need a false bottom. Its basically a screen bottom with a bucket or something underneath to catch the water?

Correct me if Im wrong.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You can make a false bottom in a normal tank, and there is a number of ways of doing it. Basically, you'll be raising the 'floor' of your tank to create some space in the bottom for water to run off to, so it won't drown the plants. Periodically, you will need to drain it out. Some people install pumps to make this easier.

If your tank was able to be drilled, a bucket or something underneath would work fine, so long as there was a screen of some type to keep animals from sneaking out of the resulting hole.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

If you put your plants in pots, there is no need. I have a layer of coco-husk but in that layer I have potted plants. I'm just sure to not over water.

Otherwise you can put down a layer of rocks, then a screen, and then your substrate and plants. Having a drain in the bottom is helpful, but not mandatory, as long as you don't over water.

5. AMule123

AMule123 New Member

Wow,

You guys are great, I only posted the thread and like in an hour I already have replies!

I had thought of creating a false bottom, but the only problem I can think of is that it would have to be quite strong to hold up the flooring and everything... any suggestions?

Thanks again,
    Sam

6. schlegelbagel

Often people build false bottoms out of what is called plastic egg crate. They prop it up on bits of PVC pipe cut to length. Its very strong.

You have to be aware this will make for a VERY humid environment. People set this type of thing up for semi-aquatic animals or dart frogs. Dart frogs need humidity of 95%.

7. AMule123

AMule123 New Member

Well I always thought I'd make some green garden-like enclosure, but as you tag says, "do what's best for the animal." And as such I may have to completely change my plan. I am looking to get a childrens python for the cost and size factors, so if anyone has any suggestions on a suitable habitat plan/design i would really appreciate some help :)

Thanks,
    Sam

8. fritzponds

fritzponds Well-Known Member

I just went through this same problem. I ended up building cupboards under the enclosure and placed a plastic bin there. Then I raised up each flower pot in my tank with 4" PVC fittings from home depot so I could run tygon tubing from each flower pot to the tank under the cage. This eliminated the risk of getting moldy substrate, which I had a big problem with before.

9. schlegelbagel

I'm not too familiar with children's pythons at all. Frogs are my specialty. Are they arboreal? What sort of temps and humidity do they require? What about space? If you can fill me in on that, then perhaps we can help you a bit more. :)

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From what little I know about the chidrens python I suspect that a heavily planted terrarium would be too humid.
    Also its hard to use live plants with snakes of any size at all. The weight of the snake moving around and crawling on them will pretty much destroy them.

11. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

You could do a easy planted tank for a Childrens, and you really wouldn't have need for a false bottom. I would recommend using a few larger succulents. Get the size that just fit in your tank with a bit of growing room. Tree Aloe is good their are many forms and it doesn't mind being cut back. Misting once or twice a week will be all the water most succulents will need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.