This Disappears When Logged In

Planning on a Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by TheSmench, Jun 7, 2013.

1. TheSmench

TheSmench Elite Member

I have kept snakes years back and want to get back into it. I keep monitors and geckos now and want to expand back into snakes. I have a empty custom built 4'x2'x2' (LxWxH). I have a few questions.

1. What is the best way to heat the enclosure?
    2. I plan on making it bio active and will be adding lights for plant growth. I do not want to cut into the top. Should I cage in the lights since they will be inside the enclosure? and what would be better CFL or flousecent tubes (not UVB kind just basic 6500k)
    3. I have read that a bio active substrate is okay with carpets is that correct?
    4. Can a young carpet live in a big enclosure or should I start small?

Any additional advice and comments are greatly appreciated

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

A young carpet can live in a big enclosure as long as there is alot of cover and some height (climbing availability) would help alot. What I personally have noticed with mine, was she hid alot more as a youngin when she was in a big enclosure. In the smaller one she seemed more comfortable and was out more. To me that does not really make a difference, I would just put it in the big to start. With carpets, you want to start off feeding rats, right from the first meal offered.

Regarding lights. Lights must be caged. Carpets are climbers. Can you post a few pics of your enclosure? If you hang inside, you will have to "protect" the lights from the snake and you will loose some valuable height. What kind of carpet are you looking at?

For heating, I use both a UTH and overhead low watt lamp. I am a huge believer in the "warm hide" thus the UTH, and I want to encourage my carpet's arboreal tendencies, thus the lamp.

Bio-active substrate is great for carpets, I think yours will thrive on there. The only thing I would mention is they are home-wreckers. They are very active snakes and like to try to climb around on everything while you sleep. My girl was still small when I gave up on live plants. I think the enclosures look awesome with live, go for it, just have a back-up plan lol.

3. TheSmench

TheSmench Elite Member

I have an UTH and also heat cable. Do you think i can use the heat cable in place of the UTH. I will cage the lights ( i thought as much). I was planning on a small CFL (in size) will be plenty to grow plants and an low wattage (25watt) nightglow for over head heat and night viewing. If i place in the middle of the top for the day light and the heat on one side (in the middle) would i really lose much height with the lights caged? On the rats should I start with pups? I want to get a Jungle. I was planning on planting plants that are sturdy but will have a back up plan. what type of feeding schedule do you use? and do you know where to get a good jungle from.

The pic is the cage now need to replace the screen with glass and do a background like i did with my crested geckos enclosure.

Attached Files:

4. diehardislanders

First off, if you wanted to, it would be very easy to add your lights to the top of that enclosure.
    I have never used heat-rope. Bought it once, returned it a day later. That does not mean it is sub-par, it just did not work for what I wanted it to.

Where to get a jungle? Perfect timing for you. Nick Mutton is selling some right now for pretty decent prices. He is the carpet Guru in America. He has a locale specific Jungle clutch available, as well as regular Jungles. The locale is called "Palmerston" and they tend to be very slightly smaller, and can have the tendency to develop something that resembles a stripe down there back. As far as I am aware (I could be wrong) but this is the only know locale available in the US right now. So you have the option of these guys, and Jungle Carpet Pythons. For your jungle, the prices vary from around $100-$400 depending on how much yellow the young snake is showing. You can find stunning snakes in the $100-$150 range very easily. Kingsnake.com has a decent section, and I believe Nick Mutton posted his snakes up on there a few days ago. Females will typically grow about 1 1/2' more then males. (concerning jungles.)

5. diehardislanders

Sorry, I missed your other questions:

rat pups: I would do anything possible to start them on rats from the get go. Naturally, they prefer mice, and sometimes they can be really annoying to switch over, which you will absolutely eventually want to do with a jungle. A 7' jungle would require a ton of mice. My IJ girl is at 4' and is taking rats bigger than any mouse available.

I think the mouse scent triggers an instinctual familiarity meaning food. My girl has only been offered rats since I have had her, and she is a fantastic eater, but has never yet eaten without me first scenting the rat with a mouse. One of the big carpet guys in Australia was telling me he had to sew a mouse head onto his rats at first for a particular snake. lol there are some ridiculous stunts some of us have had to go through, but hopefully you will never get to that place.

Feeding schedule: It depends on the size of the meal, but my snake usually tells me when she is hungry. It generally is between 7-10 days.

6. TheSmench

TheSmench Elite Member

I know it can be easy to added lights on top but was worried about humidity and heat. I'll look into the person you wrote about. I am planning on accruing the snake in a month or so. Want to get the enclosure setup and running first. How big of an UTH would you use in my size enclosure?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  7. diehardislanders

Something that would take roughly 1/3. I have experimented with the placement of UTH in custom wood builds, and so far, I have found what I believe to be the best method. I cut out a 14"x14" square off of the bottom of the enclosure, and silicone an 18"x18" real stone or slate tile over the hole. The heat pad can then be attached underneath to the belly of the stone tile, which in turn will hold and disperse heat better and more efficiently.

You can add the lights and still retain your humidity and heat if you just build a sealed in light box, or perform a roof-raising to the enclosure. I am excited for you btw, carpets are great. Can't wait to see pics of the new guy.

8. TheSmench

TheSmench Elite Member

Do you barrier the site where the stone is? or leave it open besides the hide

9. diehardislanders

What do you mean by barrier? It is a stone tile, 18"x18" and 1/4" thick. I put it over the hole to cover the hole, so the UTH can have direct contact with the stone.

10. TheSmench

TheSmench Elite Member

Auto correct I ment buried the stone with substrate