This Disappears When Logged In

Planning for a Burmese

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Pheryllt, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pheryllt

Pheryllt New Member

I am planning on getting a Burmese in the future and need as much info I can get on how to care for them proporly, This will be my first large snake and I need to know things like feeding, temp to keep them at, temperment, bathing, health care, things to look out for, stuff like that.

It would be great if you post everything you know about Bermese pythons, because I wont get one without the knowlage to care for one. Thank you.. :)

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

A burmese python is a big undertaking. Have you owned any snakes before? You might want to start off with something a little smaller and manageable, like a ball python. Burmese get so huge and sometimes very aggressive that I would never suggest it to someone just starting out. And they need to eat a lot (rabbits and other big prey). Are you ready for that?? I'm no expert, have only owned snakes for a little over a year, but I dont own a burmese python. My biggest snake is a boa that is 7 feet long and around 20ish lbs...and he is a handful to handle. Good luck in your undertaking. Lyn

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Lyn's right. Feeding a 15-20+feet long snake is a handlful,...and expensive! You will also need a large and very strong, secure, enclosure. People often do not realize just how powerful these snakes are. I personlly know of a smaller burm (about 10 ft) that busted the front out of the 55gal tank that it was housed in and escaped!) They also live for a long time. Are you prepared to deal with a giant snake that feeds on rabbits and chickens for pretty much the rest of your life. And what goes in must come out. And it does. And in LARGE amounts!
    And please don't fall into the mindset of planning on keeping it for a while and when it gets big trying to sell it and make money. There is no market for large burms, the Zoos won't take them and the rescues have more than they can handle. Add to this that within a couple of years you will not be able to safely handle it alone. Do you have some one willing to assist you in cage cleaning, feeding, and just basic care? These guys are a lot more of a job than your basic cornsnake or boa.

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Here's Melissa Kaplans caresheet with lots of info. I recommend reading it and the links thoroughly!!
    http://www.anapsid.org/burm.html

Before you go out and buy one, check out animal rescue centers... lots of people give up their burms when they get too big and start feeding on rabbits. So if you're really ready to take on the challenge: a rescue might be an option.
    Also, be sure to check your local and state laws. Some places require a permit for burms.
    When thinking of adult burm caging, think about converting a walk-in closet to house the snake. You'll need to be able to get inside it for cleaning, etc. and converting an existing room or area of a room is probably the way you'll have to go as it gets bigger.

5. Pheryllt

Pheryllt New Member

I know what you are trying to say, I may go for something a little smaller. I have a lot of time to take care of a high matinance snake. And I plan to breed my own mice to feed the reptile. Any suggestion will be well appreciated.

Also I plan to get the snake while its still young, so that it will be more friendly to me..........

6. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

If you decide to go with a Burmese python, please adopt. There are so many in need of homes. Where I live they are frequently abandoned by their owners. The people who release them, however, call it, "letting them free" into the everglades. I have a seven foot Burmese python and I can definitely say that this type of snake is a huge responsibility and becomes very expensive to feed. At this size it is hard to handle the snake and even harder to get help from anyone else.

[​IMG]

7. Merlin

If you want to try your hands at a fairly good size constrictor I would suggest a common boa. They get large enough to be impressive without completely eating you out of house and home. They are beautiful and hardy. And most of them are quite docile and easily handled if treated with respect. If set up properly they are really no more high maintanence than any other snake.
    re:raising mice. Even a boa isn't going to feed on mice for long. You are looking at rats within about a year. Either that or one heck of a lot of mice!
    even getting one while it is small, it will still be a wild snake and never to be fully trusted. It may be very docile and easily handled but don't get complacent. Thats how keepers get injured.

8. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

yes i to agree, if this is your first snake i would start off with somthing a little smaller, i have been keeping snakes since i was 11, started off with gopher and corn snakes, then went to balls, and finally the last three years i have had my burm, currently at 9', and i must say that she is the most challenging so far, but if you have the desire, money, and knowledge they are great snakes to have.

9. grim

grim Elite Member

all i have to say is if you get a burmese have fun when it gets big and mean, because all the full grown ones ive seen have been exactly that. I wouldn't dare buy a burmese python and im crazy enough to buy an nile monitor....

10. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

Not all burms are big and mean. I have seen some really nice calm ones.

11. Merlin

I too have seen many adult burms that are very docile and extremely handleable as long as you treat them with a big dose of common sense!
    But then again you never know for sure what you are going to end up with.

12. Black_ball

Black_ball Member

True, as in the case of my little girl Mable. She's 12ft long and we estimate her length to be 24ft at adult. She's currently dinning on baby bunnies 2x a week. Mable is one of the getntlest snakes that we have.

Before you buy, please let me tell you about Mable and her family. My fiancee purchased her from a breeder in Florida nearly a year ago. Her mother and father were sent to live at the local "zoo" and 90% of her clutch mates had already been flushed down the toilet! My fiancee paid $50 for a genetically traceable burmese python who was at that time just shy of 2 months of age and only a 1 1/2 ft long and being fed the wrong sized prey.

Mabel, her clutch mates and parents aren't a unique story. Nor is it unheard of for Burmese pythons to be dumped at petstores, at zoos, animal rescues, or at county shelters where 9 out of 10 are immediately euthanized because of their size and strength. Not to mention flushed down toilets or dropped outside somewhere where they kill small livestock, small pets and even small children because of the actions of people.

Please, don't get me wrong. If you have your heart set on getting a burmese python or any large snake, go into it with you eyes wide open. Real soon, we'll be building Mable's perm. enclosure - 45ft long x 38ft wide and we've just got to figure out how to temp control her eniviroment before beginning to build.

Not everyone goes to such large lengths for a snake, nor am I saying that they should or that I take better care of mine over someone else's. But if you do the math, 2x adult length, it mounts up to a large enclosure for a large snake.

13. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

Black Ball, man you gotta start looking at the dates on these posts,lol you are confusing the s*** out of me. but i think you got the rule confused, its supposed to be the area of the floor in the cage should equal the length of the snake, i.e. 8' snake=4'L X 2'W cage, but most adults are comfortable in a 8'L X 3'W=24' square foot area, a 45' cage seems a little big and it is going to be difficult to maintain proper temps and humidity, but if you can get those right your burm is going to be real happy, lol.

14. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

Let me hit this from a rescue POV-
    We have 4 burms right now- 16 ft, 14 ft, 11 ft, and 9 ft.
    WE ARE SET UP TO HAVE UP TO 15 SNAKES OVER 12 FT.
    THAT OUGHT TO TELL YOU SOMETHING!!!!!

I love burms, I love retics, I love 'condas, I'm not such a fan of AfRocks...

They are very big, very powerful and I know that it doesn't make that much sense but its true- my husband is 6 ft. and almost 400 lbs of muscle- we have a burm that can pull him to the ground- she requires AT LEAST 3 people to handle- and whats really bad- SHE'S NOT AGGRESSIVE. She's never bit- never struck- NOTHING. Shes just huge and strong as an ox- you know, most snakes are a bit flexible, softer- not her- she's solid as a rock- theres no give in her body, no place to grab on to.....

I very strongly suggest you visit a rescue in your area- tell them you are thinking about getting a burm and would like to handle one of theirs. (I also reccommend a donation for thier time- I know how much it helps)
    I've had several people come here looking for "somethin' big" and leave with a red tail or ball python- after holding our big girl. (we call her Big Bit**).

On to the cages- We have lots- we just built a set of 4- we call it the cube. The total of the 4 cages is 7 ft tall, 7 ft wide, and 7 ft deep- each of the 4 measure 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 X 3 1/2- built like alcatraz- no escaping allowed!!! There is a padlock on each cage for safety as well.

Now- on the positive side- I love burms with a passion- I've never been bit by an adult but I know my animals and I give them time to know me. (and I'm fast) They have struck many, many, MANY times.... I was bit, however by an 8 ft boa- It cost around 1200 $ to get my thigh closed up and put back together.....

they are beautiful creatures- but look at all sides
    Beth

15. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi Beth
    This is an old thread, but IMO your post should be added to the Burmese Python caresheet! It is VERY good advice from first-hand experience.
    I was impressed.
    (Wow that must have been quite a bite by that boa!
    I guess I missed your intro thread, so welcome to HC! :)

16. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

An old thread but it was a nice surprize to see that old picture of my Burm Dubious and my son together. We miss Dubious dearly but as others have mentioned, he was very expensive to feed and without the financial ability to feed him as much as he demanded I feared for my son's safety; especially after being bitten as if I were pray and realizing the strength and power of this guy.

For the record, Dubious now resides at Everglades Outpost and takes part in educational shows. It took me about two years to find a suitable place that was willing to take in and care for a regular Burmese python. My son and I have visited him 3 times since we surrendered him to the zoo which is an hour and a half away. After seeing that photo I think we are due for another visit...I miss my baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.