This Disappears When Logged In

pinky mice

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by lola, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lola

lola Elite Member

i used to be able to get fresh, live, pinkies to my herps from where i worked, but i don't work there anymore. i would buy them, but i don't know from where...if there was someone nearby...(southern maine, new hampshire, northern mass...) with a breeding colony and an over abundance...

...i just don't want to keep one myself. been there, used to work with lab animals...sick of cleaning up after rodents...

...and don't care for the frozen ones. some of my herps won't even touch them cause their not moving or warm enough or something. plus, they are too expensive at the pet store!

anyone have any ideas? i know there are some people here from mass at least...maybe you guys know how i could get hooked up with a breeder for live ones.

just curious,

red

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Frozen often works out cheaper if you buy in bulk.. I can't help you out on where to get your feeders sorry, but what you might want to think about switching to f/t anyway, as when your snakes get bigger you don't want to still be feeding them live if you can help it - the rodent could cause harm to the snake, and it is more humane to feed f/t. Just a thought :)

*Edit: Sorry, which herps do you feed the mice to? If you are feeding lizards such as beardies and geckos, the rodents should be fed as a treat, and to stimulate feeding you could try warming the rodent and wiggling/dangling it in front of the animal, as though it were live?

3. LeoGrl

LeoGrl Active Member

mass

How far you from fitch mass. i get my mice from a store there for my leopard gecko, 2bucks for a lil pinky.

4. lola

lola Elite Member

i am actually a couple (few) hours from fitchburg...thanks, though! :)

i know that frozen are better/more humane even, and i do warm them and wiggle them and what not, but some of them that will eat the live ones still won't eat them.

i am feeding them to lizards. check the new member forum for a list of my critters.

the big reason that i want the pinks is for my breeding female leopard geckos. but i guess their season is up now anyway...

...and my dragons love them as a treat, too!

lola (red)

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Rodentpro.com, alot of us here use them and as far as getting your critters to eat f/t, warm them under a heat lamp after thawing and use a pair of tweezers to simulate movement.
    See this article, http://www.herpcenter.com/article.php?a=47

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.