This Disappears When Logged In

Pinkies Too Big

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by cdiaz, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdiaz

cdiaz Member

I have a baby corn I was given by a frustrated owner. Not sure of the age, maybe a month. Its about six inches long. The problem I have is it seems like pinkies are too big for it to eat.

I got the smallest live pinky I could find in a local store, looked like a newborn. The snake struck at it and got part of the head in its mouth, but after a second or two it would let go. After a few tries it would loose interest and ignore it. I read in a few sites that some people cut the pinkies in half lengthwise to make them thinner for small snakes. I tried that, not very pleasant at all, and the snake showed no interest at all in it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Cesar

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Try some crickets or earth worms. You need smaller prey.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cornsnakes don't eat insects.
    What do you mean "frustrated" Has the snake ever fed?
    How long have you had the snake?
    What were you doing while the snake was feeding? Is it possible that you were disturbing it and so it chose not to eat?
    Can you post a picture of the snake and the pinky for size comparison?

4. cdiaz

cdiaz Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

I put in a few crickets with the snake and it completely ignored them.

The previous owner was getting rid of all their reptiles for personal reasons. When I fed it I put it in a smaller container with a ventilated lid and left it alone for over an hour. I've had the snake for two weeks and it has not fed, so I am really starting to get concerned.

I can post a picture of the snake and pinkie when I get home tonight.

5. Merlin

Unless the snake is seriously undersized it should have no problem with a newborn pinkie.
    Have you been handling the snake since you got it? What sort of setup are you housing it in and what are the temperatures.
    Did the snake feed for the other owner?

6. cdiaz

cdiaz Member

I have handled the snake, in the last few days any time it is handled it nips at us. It does try real hard to feed, just can't seem to get its mouth wide enough. It's my first baby corn, so not 100% sure of the "right" size for the age but it looks average when I compare it to the pictures I have seen online.

It is in a 5 gallon tank with Aspen bedding, water bowl and warm side temp is 90f

7. Merlin

Try leaving it alone for a week to settle in. No handling and no mucking around in the cage except for necessary care, spot cleaning changing water etc.
    Do you have a hide? Do you know if it ever fed for the previous owner?

8. schlegelbagel

Maybe it was the garter snake someone said that they eat bugs... Sorry for the bad info.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think you should NOT be handling at this stage... allow a couple of weeks for the snake to "settle in", if you could post pics of the snake AND a pinkie mouse for size comparison.....Thanks!

10. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I'm with everyone else. No handling at lest until it has 3-4 good feedings. new born pinkies are not a problem for any sized hatchling corn. You may need to start it on live if it's never fed before. Just leave it in a small container with a live pinky overnight. If this doesn't work in the first 3-4 weeks then you really do have a hard feeder and theirs not much I can say but keep with it till the end. You would be surprised how long some hatchlings will go without eating.

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

After the alloted settle-in time of at least a week, try putting the pinkie and the snake into a brown paper "lunch type" bag with the top folded over and stapled shut to keep the snake from escaping. Place the bag into the snake's enclosure and leave it alone overnight. Sometimes cornsnakes like to eat in the evening and they will eat better if they can't see anyone else or have anyone else looking at them. Check the paper bag in the morning, if it has eaten (or not) take the snake and return it to his enclosure and discard the bag. If it has not eaten, retry in 4-5 days. Also make sure your temps and humidity are at the correct levels. You can check the care sheet on this site for more info. Good luck and keep us posted.

12. cdiaz

cdiaz Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try the paperbag tomorrow when I feed the rest of the snakes.

13. David McConley

You are welcome. I hope it works for you. Just remember to make sure your temps and humidity are correct.

14. cdiaz

cdiaz Member

I tried a modified version of the paperbag suggestion. I used the small cardboard box that the petshop uses to send pinkies home in. Left the sanke in there overnight, maybe about 12 hours. I could see where it had struck at the pinky, but it was not eaten. I cut the pinky in half, still nothing. Here they are together for size comparison

http://twitpic.com/84ais

Any ideas appreciated.

15. schlegelbagel

is it just me, or does that look like a newborn rat, and not a pinkie? that seems really big for a pinkie... or am I just making the snake out to be bigger than I think it is?

Good feeder sized website.
    Rodentpro.com Frozen Feeder Rodents

Newborn Rats: Length (Inches): 1.50 - 2.00
    [​IMG]

Small Pinky Mice: Length (Inches): 0.50 - 1.00
    [​IMG]

16. David McConley

It looks like a mouse pinky to me- baby cornsnakes are just that little. I would just re-try it again say maybe in about 4 days or so from when you took the pic. Sometimes corns are just trying to cause problems for their owners. It looks like it is in good shape so it should start eating before long.
    You can try to soak the pinkie in some chicken broth, sometimes that works. I will look up some more info for you when I can and try to get back to you tomorrow.

17. dmc

dmc New Member

I would try and get that snake a smaller feeder, or even a small anole.

That pinkie does look rather large for that size snake. I've got a 20" Grey Rat Snake that I caught a couple of weeks ago and I'm just now getting some peach fuzzie's and some rat pinkies for it. He is currently eating two mice pinkies at feeding.

The more I look at that pic, the more it looks like a rat pinkie. You didn't handle the mouse/rat with your hand did you? You may have to tease the snake into striking by holding the prey with some long handle tweezers, or hemastats, when it strikes the prey and holds on you can release the prey and slowly very slowly move away. About five to ten minutes after the snake has swallowed the prey very gently set the feed box in its cage and let the snake crawl out on its own. The last thing you want to happen right know is for the snake to regurgitate its first meal.

I think this snake should start out on prey that is nearly the same size at the biggest part of the snakes mid section.

Young hatchlings like this can go a couple of weeks without eating.

Good luck I hope you get him/her to eat soon.

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I fully agree, that pinkie looks too big. I have the tiniest things that I feed to my T's sometimes and a corn baby will have no problem with them.

I think you should look into finding smaller size, maybe they just sold you the wrong stuff.

I hope you come right.;)

19. swavet22

swavet22 Member

I'm with the others that pinkie looks to large for the snake. I also think it my be a rat pinkie. Do you know if the other owner was feeding live or frozen/thawed ?

20. David McConley

I went back and looked at the picture again. It still looks like a mouse pinkie to me, but it does appear to be a large pinkie. See if you can get the newborn pinkies and try that, just as everyone else has posted. I apologize for the confusion of my last post. I don't know why I did not see the size comparison more clearly before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.