This Disappears When Logged In

Pictures of Scylla, the Western Hognose

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by graduationxday, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

She just ate her first meal as a member of my family a couple of days ago. Gave me quite a scare going without eating the first month and a half I had her. These pictures are from the night I got her.
    Enjoy! :3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

nice, they really do look odd.

3. graduationxday

Their oddness just makes me love them more :]]
    My history teacher is a snake breeder, specializing in hognoses. It's pretty awesome haha.

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Scylla looks really cute, odd, but very cute! I am glad to hear that she ate, it really must have been a terrible month and a half.;)

Tell me more about this species.

5. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

they do but one of my favorite snaks

6. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Good pictures, She looks to be about the same age as my two females.

7. graduationxday

Well, there is definitely a lot to know about these neat little snakes, Heterodon nasicus. There's a lot left for everyone to find out as well. There are other hognose species, such as the Eastern hognose, Heterodon platirhinos and the Southern hognose, Heterdon simus. All three are native to North America. There is also the Mexican hognose, Heterodon kennerlyi that's found in the extreme southern tip of Texas and Mexico.

But more on Westerns.. They rarely get over 3 feet, with the average being around 2. They are rear fanged and are considered nonvenomous, though its really a controversial issue. Some say they have a mild venom, I've read some who say its a toxic saliva... I dunno what it really is. I've read about some bite cases in which the bitten limb went numb and got very swollen. I've also read cases where the blood wouldn't clot, so yeah. My friend did an experiment on this for our biology class. He's actually the son of my history teacher, the hognose breeder. His research found that people with allergies to bee stings and such had a worse reaction to a hognose bite. Makes sense I guess. If I had more information on his experiment I'd let you guys know.
    There's also a lot of talk over what the rear fangs are for. Some think it's for "popping" toads that puff up when trying to be eaten, but people are now thinking this is unlikely because frogs and toads don't make up enough of their diet in the wild.
    Speaking of diets, they will eat baby birds and eggs and lizards and frogs and toads and all sorts of things haha. In captivity, Westerns are pretty easy to get on pinkies when compared to other hognoses. Like I was saying, Scylla was having problems eating, so I was going to catch a toad from outside to scent the pinkie, but she ended up eating the pinkie I'd offered her as a last chance before scenting.
    The temps Westerns need are in the mid 80s on the warm side, mid 70s on the cool side with a basking spot in the upper 80s or low 90s. Since they don't get very large, they can be kept in a 20 gallon long. Some people say you can keep them in a 10 gallon for their whole lives, but I don't really know. The bigger the better. Scylla's in a 10 gallon right now, but as you can see, she's tiny.
    I've also read about them soaking in their water bowls often, so I have a large bowl in her tank that she can fit in. Its really shallow so she won't drown or anything. I have yet to see her in it though haha.

What I find most interesting about these little critters in the wild is their defense system. Now this is fun to talk about :]
    If you come across one of these in the wild, it'll put on quite a show.

Here are some pictures of them playing dead...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also many morph of these little critters. I find normals beautiful, but the morphs are too.

Yellow:
    [​IMG]

Albino/Amelanistic:
    [​IMG]

Hypomelanistic:
    [​IMG]

Axanthic:
    [​IMG]

Snow:
    [​IMG]

Red:
    [​IMG]

There's also a green hognose but I can't find a picture. All these pretty snakes are from Cutting Edge Herpetological, Inc.. This site breeds hognoses. They also have pics of Easterns and Southerns if you want to look.

Well I think this is pretty much it. If you have any more questions just ask, and if anyone notices any incorrect information, let me know.

8. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are cool. I want to get a snake but my mom won't let me.:( Apparently a box turtle, Russian tortoise, 13 hermit crabs and a dog is enough already.:D

9. graduationxday

Haha it took me a while to convince my mom snakes weren't evil. My dad wasn't too happy with a snake either, but he thinks she's the coolest thing now. We have a bunch of critters here... 3 cats, 2 dogs, 2 bearded dragons, 1 hognose, 2 hermit crabs, and 1 red eared slider... And if you wanna count my little sister, she's here too haha

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thank you very much for all that info and pics. They really sound like awesome snakes and I love the insert about their behaviour in the wild, absolutely adorable! It has put a huge smile on my face, thanks!:D

11. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

The Fluor albino is also interesting, Almost pure yellow and tan. Filip Longhitano, where I got my two pairs has made wonderful progress breeding out different traits within the last few years. If you would like to check out his site here it is http://www.heterodon.com/start.html

12. graduationxday

It's no problem :]] I like sharing info on these great snakes :]

Hahaha the German had me stumped for a bit, til I figured most of the words sound a lot like English :p
    I'm much more of a French person, though my school offers German as well... I may take that as an elective eventually...
    But they have beautiful hoggie morphs there. Thanks for sharing :]]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.