This Disappears When Logged In

Pictures of My 3 Littles Garter Snakes

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by Barak666, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Barak666

Barak666 Active Member

So after more that half a year I finally get the thamnophis sirtalis I wanted. Those are three siblings born in august (I think) One have a dark's back with bright orange stripe, one with dark's back and yellow stripe and the last one with checkered's back and pale orange stripes.

As picture worth 1000 words here they are :

(theirs enclosure)
    couleuvres004.jpg

couleuvres011.jpg

couleuvres015.jpg

couleuvres013.jpg

couleuvres032.jpg

The windows frame is 1½" wide, it gives you an idea of the snake's size
    couleuvres023.jpg

couleuvres025.jpg

couleuvres027.jpg

the only one I have with the yellow/black one
    couleuvres029.jpg

News pictures once they shed

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Awesome looking Garters, very hard to get in Canada. Glad you finally were able to find them. The enclosure looks really nice too! Thanks for sharing your pictures. Are they able to be held?

3. Barak666

Barak666 Active Member

Thanks

Your right, they are pretty hard to find in Canada (as long as your looking for CB garters snakes), as here in Quebec province, its illegal to sell garter of thamnophis sirtalis sub-species. I was lucky that someone give me those, the 3 last babies from his flame eastern female (breeds with an awesome flame male).

I get them about 2 weeks ago, they were a bit skinny so I feed them well, and decide to wait longer before holding them. They don't seem afraid by my hands so long as I move slowly, the orange one is pretty curious and often come ahead. I will probably try to handled them in the next week, as they seems to have acclimate themselves well to their new habitat (and by my presence around this said habitat) :)

4. jtwilson3

jtwilson3 Elite Member

SO HAPPY that you are using digital thermometers. Most don't....

Nice looking snakes. I usually don't like snakes that aren't pythons or burmese (I like the arrow shaped heads) but those look great.

5. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice looking snakes..I especially like the orange coloring/patterns..Thanks for sharing the pictures.

6. lovesreptiles

lovesreptiles Elite Member

That enclosures looks awesome!

7. ThayeriLvr

ThayeriLvr Member

They are beauties and the enclosure looks like a terrific home :)

8. leokid

leokid Member

VERY cool enclosure. :)

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Nice Snake Mansion!

Good looking snakes too.

Do you feed yours fish or have you converted them to rodents?

10. Barak666

Barak666 Active Member

Thanks, instead of having lot of snakes, I decided to just have few in one vast enclosure, and the garters are perfect for that as they often are gregarious, without counting theirs colors and active behaviors.

So far mine's seems to explore a lot and are pretty curious about everything. I feed them on earthworm (e. hortensis) from my worm-composting bin. As they were a bit underfed when I got them, I will wait before trying something else (pinky, guppy, trout) as they engulf worms with so much passion.

For info, the enclosure is 48X24X24 + a 12"X24" triangle zone below the floor of the rest of the enclosure at eye's high when on the sofa.
    terracouleuvres013.jpg
    terracouleuvres016.jpg

Attached Files:

11. mld

You should get that enclosure put in the enclosure section, its absolutely gorgeous.

12. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

I love these flame morphs, so awesome. I have actually caught about five flame morphs in my life in the wild. They look just like these, except one was like super red and really beautiful. I have yet to catch a wild melanistic garter snake. Of course, I have caught like 100 normals lmao.

Anyways, do they still musk and what are you feeding them?

13. Barak666

Barak666 Active Member

They are CB, they are ~3-4 months old. I try not to held them for the first 2 weeks (who just pass). Few minutes ago, while taking the water bowl out to change it, one of them panic and fall on the ground, I took it back in the enclosure, but it must have been quite a stress for it. On the other hand the biggest one (yellow and black) place itself in the door's way, so I took it, to move it for the track, it don't seem to have been afraid of the experience, while the third one ran to my hand as I drop his friend. The third one (dark orange) seem to be the more curious of them all. So that the only experience at holding them I have, but they don't musk on me for this first one.

For now they are eating earthworms (eisenia hortensis). They don't seem to be interested in guppies nor trout fillet, but with time I will try to make them eat various prey (fish, pinkie, earthworm, etc)

14. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Absolutely adorable snakes! And their home is AWESOME!! (I already linked in the Enclosure Section).

How big will they be full grown? I'd like to add a little snake to my collection (urm, collection of 2 ;) that is) sometime in the future. Garters are just so cute, with lovely colors!

Thanks for sharing! :)

15. Barak666

Barak666 Active Member

Thanks

For the size they can get, it depend firstly of the sex (mine are to youngs to be sex, I will wait for them to grow bigger). The males tend to be smaller, the father of mine is a small male of about 1½-2 feets, will the mother is bigger, I know some female grow longer that 3feet (there is some breeders who get females with more that 40" long).

Mine are Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis, but there is plenty of subspecies of Thamnophis sirtalis (sirtalis, similis, concinnus, parietalis, etc), while there are some other species of thamnophis (marciannus, radix, etc) who are interresting for there colors.

There is a caresheet who give the base to know for keeping garter snakes

16. Barak666

Barak666 Active Member

Here some pics.

This one after dinner time
    couleuvres037.jpg

couleuvres041.jpg

While the other two bask waiting to shed
    couleuvres042.jpg

Attached Files:

17. mld

They are just so gorgeous, makes me want 1, captive breed of course, so so jealous. Maybe one day:x
    Thanks for sharing your pictures, always nice to see.

18. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Nice little guys. We start our guys out on worms and f/t tilapia. At that age you should not have a problem feeding pinky parts. We take xs pinks and cut them into about 5-6 pieces. The mouse bones help with calcium and they grow much quicker.

19. Boa

Boa Elite Member

Those are some nice looking garter snakes

20. Barak666

Barak666 Active Member

So here the pictures of the two who just shed

Before enclosure cleaning ;)

couleuvres047.jpg

couleuvres046.jpg

And once the cleaning done it is lunch time :

couleuvres051.jpg

The one on the last and the first pictures is the same individual