This Disappears When Logged In

*pics*Tree Frog Vivarium -Finished Photo's-

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by HydroDragon, Mar 30, 2010.

1. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

New camera, New photo's of my finished and planted vivarium. Things have only been planted for about a week and a half now. Had one Croton tragedy that didn't make it through the transplant. So it's still a little bare yet.

All enclosed with 2 vents on each side 4" above the substrate level. 1 CHE for day time temps. And one Fluorescent Plant Growth Bulb. There is 80 Gallon's of living space (minus the branches and plants, which is these guys actual home of course.) Internal dimensions are 22" L x 30" W x 28" H. Built from raw materials.

DSCF0038.jpg

Left side with my Ivy plant thriving in the warm humid climate. This side also housed the Croton that died. I will have a tall growing plant on this side yet. And will add branches as well.

DSCF0031.jpg

Here is a more colorful shot, Started adding some vine's and things I've purchased. Waiting for the plants to start filling in the spaces.

DSCF0033.jpg

Right side of the enclosure, This is the "small plant" wall. There is still one empty potter in the top right corner that needs to be filled. And the one in the back left corner is just growing a (what was tiny) Porthos. This will be filled with another small species of plant (green house trip soon.) Also my friend Brad down in the corner for decoration.(Have a bald buddy who looks similar haha)

DSCF0034.jpg

Now this is Whats Up! nothing to fancy up here, tile'd the ceiling and the CHE opening. Also there are Ledges on the back wall that will have "air plants" growing on them. (Viv's are never truly finished i dont think)

DSCF0037.jpg

And a photo of what I expect the view for the frogs to be most of the time. I made a fancy rock path and bought a nice shallow water dish. Also another Aztec decoration is in the back left corner. Just to keep things busy.

DSCF0036.jpg

All in All this has been another fun little project. Just impatient for things to grow up and fill out. Thanks for looking and any comments/improvements are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Very attractive viv!

Crotons are high light requiring plants.

3. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Yeah and I happened to put the croton in the darkest corner of the cage... Oops. Good thing it was only 4 bucks haha. Thank you for the info though Merlin.

Any suggestions from anyone on a nice tall plant to grow back in the left corner. I will probably get something thats pre-grown more so it is taller and gets more light. Thinking of adding another Flourescent bulb on the cieling along the back. I was going for a clean look by hiding the first tube light on the backside of the front wall. But I may have to add another.

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

You could try a schefflera - they are hardy so you shouldn't have a problem with lower light levels. They are sturdy for frog climbing and you can keep pruning them as it grows, kind of like a bonsai.

And I doubt you would have a problem finding one already at the height you want to start with for little money.

**Oops, by the way -- GREAT looking viv! (smacks hand to forehead!) :D

5. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

It's definitely on a good start.
    Can't wait to see it once it's a little more grown in. =)

6. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Good suggestion on the Schefflera. It fills out my bare corner nicely.

Our local greenhouse didnt really have much to pick from yet because of the early season here. So im probably going to order a couple more unique plants from off the internet. I have a few more places for some plants to fill in.

I plan on ordering from blackjungle.com does anyone possibly have any experience with ordering from these guys?

And thanks for the comments, I as well cannot wait for things to start going nuts in there. I will have to add more frogs for sure though cause Lucy is already hard enough to find she blends so well.

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Very nice Vivarium! :)

8. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I have never ordered mail order plants so I can't help you there, but don't get too carried away or you'll be thinning it back out before you know it! ;)

9. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Yeah the Porthos and Shefflera are growing pretty quick. Things are lookin nice and lucy seems to be doing well in there. As shes always roaming around at night and has gone to the bathroom in the past couple nights. Which makes me believe she has eaten. I think she's just having a difficult time finding crickets in the 80 gallons of space.

10. Mindy13

Mindy13 Active Member

Very cool!

11. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Thank you very much :) I obviously cant get enough of these projects as another one starts soon.

So keep on the look out for another custom enclosure. This time for Leo's